Principal Database Kernel Software Engineer VI
Location: El Segundo, California US
Requisition Number: 212239
The technology research and development (R&D) organization within Teradata Corporation, has been turning innovative decision support technology into business results for over 30 years. Our R&D team of analytic architects, database developers and engineers work to understand and advance emerging technologies to invent the next wave of cutting-edge analytic data solutions.
Position Title: Database Kernel Software Engineer VI (Principal Software Engineer)
Job Category: Engineering
Location: San Diego, CA or El Segundo, CA
Position Description/Major Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will join the Teradata Database Kernel Team and participate in the development of the Teradata Parallel Database System.
- Responsible for all phases of software development life cycle from software design through customer support for Teradata Database Kernel features and customer reported problems.
- Apply theoretical/practical knowledge to software design, implementation, testing, documentation and support and maintenance activities as well as software packaging.
- Perform competitive analysis of other database management systems, other data integration solutions, and recommend Teradata cloud database changes to close competitive gaps or to enhance competitive advantages.
- Contributes to technical strategy, architecture, test environment, customer impact, and process improvements for Database Kernel and overall product.
- Contribute to the production of intellectual property (development of new algorithms or techniques).
- Collaborate closely with platform, Quality Engineering, and other engineering teams for end to end design and implementation of kernel features
- Provides technical leadership and drives cross functional project teams. Serves as mentor to junior team members.
- Drives the prioritization, risk analysis, and actions for all team features or product issues deliverables.
- Define work breakdowns and design for scoping and schedule estimations/commitment..
- Contribute knowledge of emerging technologies to evaluate technical solutions.
- U.S. Bachelor’s and 10+ yrs of experience Or, US Masters with 8 yrs of experience Or, PhD with 5 yrs of experience, specifically in Operating Systems, Database technology, Distributed/Parallel/High Performance/Fault Tolerant Computer Systems/Software, File system, Data Storage, or related areas
- Coursework should include at a minimum discrete mathematics, software engineering, data structures and algorithms, operating systems, and computer architecture and organization, otherwise working knowledge/experience with subjects mentioned.
- Proven record in completing/delivering features/products in areas mentioned above on an enterprise/system software product as an individual contributor and feature/project/team lead capacity.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and strong teamwork.
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills
- Familiar with Unix(Linux) and Windows computing environment
- Strong C/C++ programming with emphasis on C low level data structures
- Advanced coursework in database, operating systems, parallel architecture, high performance fault tolerant systems, data storage systems, file systems, i/o systems, or similar technologies/disciplines
- Participated/completed projects, work experience, and research interest in areas mentioned above. Must have real product delivery and success experience.
- Provided technical consultation and counsel to product and development management and technical leadership to project teams on one or more areas above in product development.
- System software development for enterprise storage product with emphasis on persistence data life cycle management
- Multi user, multi-tasking server software internals development with emphasis on concurrency and locking protocols
- Relational database application or internals development with working knowledge of SQL
- Experienced with cloud vendors (AWS, Azure, Google) with working knowledge of scalable application architectures in the cloud
- Working knowledge of Unix (Linux, Solaris, HPUX, AIX,…) and Windows development tools (compiler, system calls, debuggers like gdb, visual studio,…) and environment (i.e. shell commands and scripting, editor, MS Word, Outlook, etc)
- Experienced in developing under GIT, Clearcase or similar source control products
- Effectively debug and work with low level data structures (hex dumps of data structures in memory and on storage devices)
- Familiar with Software Development Life cycle and processes such as Agile/Scrum/SAFe
*Teradata is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: El Segundo
Community / Marketing Title: Principal Database Kernel Software Engineer VI
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: El Segundo, California US