Staff Linux Systems Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 211102
Staff Linux Systems Software Engineer
Platform Services Intelligent Monitoring
Teradata is looking for candidates interested in developing software and systems that provide management and monitoring of the platform services and infrastructure in our multi-cloud and physical hardware-based parallel database and analytics systems. The solution includes custom-written software in combination with operating system, open source, and third-party software projects to enable active monitoring, problem identification and analysis, diagnostic and trend data collection. It also enables secure remote access to analysts to support Teradata systems deployed at customer sites. It is critical that our software is highly available and efficient, and scales as the number and size of deployed systems grow.
- Gather requirements, perform technical analysis and solution recommendations for software to use the enablement of 100% remote and automated support model
- Full spectrum software development activities – conceptualize, design, develop, implement, improve, test and support code written in C++, Java and other languages
- Supporting CI/CD and deployment automation into various platforms including Google Cloud, Azure, AWS, VMWare, and the latest generation of on-premises hardware
- Fault pattern analysis and rule development
- Refactor and modernize code for simplicity, security, maintainability, and performance
- Create and maintain test programs in our extensive automated test framework
- Work effectively as part of a distributed collaborative team in a flexible remote work environment
- Experience developing Linux System Software in C/C++
- Strong Linux Operating System knowledge including filesystems, process and thread management, boot/init, systemd and journald, RPMs (RedHat/CentOS/OpenSuse/SUSE)
- Experience with network programming including TLS encryption
- Experience with Enterprise Software Engineering/Development in C++ and/or Java
- Proficient with other modern complied and interpreted languages, e.g. Java, Go, Python, PowerCLI, Bash
- Comfortable working within a distributed System Design/Architecture
- Excellent troubleshooting, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in developing and/or using APIs e.g. REST and networking protocols
- Familiar with multi-threaded programming and secure coding practices
- Experience with test development, e.g. unit/functional test automation, end-to-end testing, test-driven-development
- Knowledge of basics of public and/or private cloud environments and deployments, e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, VMWare ESXi
- Experience working in fast paced agile scrum development environment
Additional Beneficial/Desired Skills
- Working knowledge of SUSE Linux SLES deployments and virtualization (KVM/QEMU)
- Working knowledge of SUSE SLES/SLED Desktop and Remote access options and controls
- Familiarity with Linux OS Internals
- Working knowledge of Cloud Services with experience such with designing and/or building a managed service in one or more public cloud environments
- Familiar with DevOps skills e.g. CI/CD and Cloud Monitoring, Provisioning and Deployment using On-Call Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, Terraform, CFT, ARM Templates, etc.
- Working knowledge of Containerization technology e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Vagrant
- Working knowledge of Databases, including RDBMS/SQL
- Experience with software resource and performance optimization/tuning
- US Permanent Residence
- Bachelor’s Degree or US Master’s Degree in a technical discipline, e.g. Computer Science/Computer Engineering
- BS with 8+ years of related work experience
- US Master’s Degree with 5+ years of experience
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Staff Linux Systems Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US