VP, User Experience
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 210021
VP, User Experience Engineering
About the Company
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is leading the multi-cloud data warehouse platform market, bringing the expertise of managing enterprise data from start to scale.
As companies seek greater agility and flexibility demanded by today’s digitalized and highly disruptive economy, they are seeking solutions that can support their mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Despite having invested heavily in technology, people, and infrastructure, these companies are unable to efficiently run their businesses or activate data to make intelligent and innovative business decisions.
Our solution, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, highly concurrent and resilient data warehouse platform that solves the most complex data challenges at scale. Teradata Vantage connects data across an enterprise, whether on-premises or in public or private clouds, to drive ecosystem simplification and deliver massive, multidimensional integration and analytics. Our connected platform enables companies to modernize their data management, analytics and operations with a seamless migration path to cloud, maximizing agility and meeting the needs of today’s dynamic business in a digital economy.
We have taken an open platform approach, driving tight integration with the top public cloud providers, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud, as well as enabling a broader partner ecosystem. This cloud native integration allows our customers greater flexibility to leverage best of breed tools, deployed on top of a scalable and robust data warehouse platform. By empowering customers and partners to build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions.
Furthermore, we make our offering available as-a-service with “pay as you go” consumption pricing to provide flexibility for customers to expand capabilities on an as needed basis, prevent cloud vendor lock-in, as well as de-risk their investments and buying decisions.
Our solution suite is comprised of software, hardware, and related business consulting and support services. Together these offerings help our customers with all of their data and analytics needs, allowing them to unlock new business value which can include improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
For more information on our products and services please visit us HERE.
IT and Marketplace Recognition in Cloud, Data and Analytics:
Teradata is one of Fortune Magazine’s “Top 10 US Software Companies” and is recognized by top IT analysts and industry groups for leadership in the cloud, data management and analytics areas. Teradata has achieved numerous leadership positions in relevant analyst reports, including those by Gartner and Forrester Research. Most recently, Teradata was honored to be named a “Cloud Database Management Leader” in the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud Database Management Systems (for the report, see HERE), as well as being ranked highest in 3 out of 4 use cases in the 2020 Gartner Critical Capabilities for Cloud Database Management Systems – Analytical Use Cases.
Teradata has clients in all of the major verticals in industry today, with more than 1,400 customer installations, including:
Ø 18 of the top 20 global commercial and savings banks
Ø 19 of the top 20 telcos
Ø 16 of the top 20 travel and transportation companies
Ø 8 of the top 10 global retailers
Ø 15 of the top 20 manufacturing companies
Ø 13 of the top 20 healthcare companies
Ø 10 of the top 15 pharmaceutical companies
On any given business day in almost every industry throughout the world, millions of users benefit from Teradata’s multi-cloud data warehouse platform. Examples of Teradata customers include:
Ø Apple is running 50 Million queries/day against 63 Petabytes driving AppleCare, iTunes, AppleStores, Marketing, Fraud & Forecasting
Ø Vodafone is connecting 350 million people to 5G networks by 2025 and connecting 150 million vehicles via IOT
Ø PayPal runs hundreds of thousands of individual customer models within 2 seconds – from 2 customer segments, to 12, to now 277mm!
Ø BMW brings together 70 interfaces of data incl. suppliers, logistics, packaging plants, carriers, overseas plants and production programs to move 300 million parts daily though a supply chain.
Ø Bank of Canada deepens customer relationships with 17M digitally active customers and creating relevant financial services
About the Opportunity
Teradata continues to set itself apart as THE hybrid multi cloud solution, breaking away from competition and setting new standards for enterprise analytics in the cloud. In support of this growth, Teradata is seeking a proven executive, focused on User Experience, to evolve our product, lead our Experience team and expand our market position. This leader will guide and inspire Teradata to continue creating product experiences that delight our customers and reimagine the industry.
As the VP of User Experience, you ultimately lead our Product Experience. You are responsible for creating and communicating the User Experience vision, approach, and tangible artifacts that are adopted across Teradata. Operating within Teradata’s Product Engineering organization, you will directly lead a team of ~50 members focused on user experience, documentation, interfaces, and user research. You have the chops to successfully champion and influence delightful experiences to an engineering and executive audience.
Given the distributed nature of modern delivery, you and your team will provide continuous guidance and collaboration to a global product and engineering team, helping to magnify and multiply the effect of your Experience experts. The VP of User Experience will also be a key participant in the ongoing definition and actions relating to our broader Customer Experience.
In both direct and extended roles, this leader must be highly respected by all levels up, down, and across the organization and must energize and inspire collaborative cross-functional teams. This leader will clearly understand Teradata’s overarching Strategy and will be the thought leader who helps the organization translate that Strategy into the product experience we provide to our customers. In this role, the successful candidate will understand the current and future customer expectations of a connected cloud data management SaaS platform, and effectively articulate them to and through the many product teams.
This position will report to the SVP, Product Engineering.
Key Skills and Attributes:
· Strong command and executive level capability to create an industry leading User Experience vision and strategy for a modern cloud SaaS platform provider
· Demonstrated ability, with personally refined mechanisms, to communicate the compelling User Experience vision to technical and business stakeholders, as well as customers
· Demonstrated ability to act as Teradata’s trusted source of customer perspective and desires, based on broadly validated customer insights
· Capability to define and lead the evolution of an engaging and world-class one:many documentation platform for customers and partners – current and future
· Natural aptitude in understanding and summarizing varied persona needs; especially the Developer and Analyst related personas
· Firm grasp of the technical fundamentals underpinning Data Management, Analytics, Warehousing, or other related areas
· Proven people and org development capabilities, focused on inspiring team excellence through a comprehensive Experience strategy, as well as individual trust and empowerment
· Strong leadership skills, especially the ability to lead through influence across functional and organizational lines
· Executive presence with demonstrated ability to influence product direction and vision in matrixed environments
· Excellent communication skills, with the ability to present both business and technical information to a wide audience including customers, peers, and ELT
· Demonstrated technical success in User Experience with a track-record of innovation
· Experience driving Experience into a complex product portfolio across a global engineering organization
· Proven success leading across a portfolio of products with different development cycles and timelines, at different stages of maturity and market impact
· Demonstrated ability in recruiting and retaining critical talent
· Outstanding leader and team player who is comfortable with open-ended problems and ambiguity
· Confidence to act quickly and decisively when the market requires such agility, challenging norms and existing processes as necessary
· Confidence and ability to jump into a project and contribute immediately to both approach, design, experience and implementation
· Proven experience in a close partnership with Go-to-Market teams
· 10+ years of software or product design experience and 10+ years of people management experience
BS in Human Centered Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, or equivalent in industry experience. MBA or equivalent experience preferred.
Total Compensation Approach:
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
*Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: VP, User Experience
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US