Sr. Staff File System Software Engineer
Location: El Segundo, California US
Requisition Number: 209604
Position Title: Software Engineer (V)
The technology research and development (R&D) organization within Teradata Corporation, has been turning innovative decision support technology into business results for over 30 years. Our R&D team of analytic architects, database developers and engineers work to understand and advance emerging technologies to invent the next wave of cutting-edge analytic data solutions.
Position Title: File System Software Engineer V
Job Category: Engineering
Location: El Segundo, CA
Position Description/Major Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will join the Teradata File System team in El Segundo, CA and participate in the development of the Teradata Parallel Database File System.
- Responsible for all phases of software development life cycle from software design through customer support for Teradata File System features and customer reported problems.
- Apply theoretical/practical knowledge to software design, implementation, testing, documentation and support and maintenance activities as well as software packaging.
- Contributes to technical strategy, architecture, test environment, customer impact, and process improvements for File System and overall product.
- Contribute to the production of intellectual property (development of new algorithms or techniques).
- Provides technical leadership and drives cross functional project teams. Serves as mentor to junior team members.
- Drives the prioritization, risk analysis, and actions for all team features or product issues deliverables.
- Define work breakdowns and design for scoping and schedule estimations/commitment..
- Contribute knowledge of emerging technologies to evaluate technical solutions.
- U.S. Bachelor’s and 10+ yrs of experience Or, US Masters with 8 yrs of experience Or, PhD with 5 yrs of experience, specifically in Operating Systems, File system, Data Storage, Distributed/Parallel/High Performance/Fault Tolerant Computer Systems/Software, Database technology, or related areas
- Coursework should include at a minimum discrete mathematics, software engineering, data structures and algorithms, operating systems, and computer architecture and organization, otherwise working knowledge/experience with subjects mentioned.
- Proven record in completing/delivering features/products in areas mentioned above on an enterprise/system software product as an individual contributor and feature/project/team lead capacity.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and strong teamwork.
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills
- Familiar with Unix(Linux) and Windows computing environment
- Strong C/C++ programming with emphasis on C low level data structures
- Advanced coursework in operating systems, file systems, parallel architecture, high performance fault tolerant systems, data storage systems, database, i/o systems, or similar technologies/disciplines
- Participated/completed projects, work experience, and research interest in areas mentioned above. Must have real product delivery and success experience.
- Provided technical consultation and counsel to product and development management and technical leadership to project teams on one or more areas above in product development.
- System software development for enterprise storage product with emphasis on persistence data life cycle management
- Multi user, multi-tasking server software internals development with emphasis on concurrency and locking protocols
- Relational database application or internals development with working knowledge of SQL
- Working knowledge of Unix (Linux, Solaris, HPUX, AIX,…) and Windows development tools (compiler, system calls, debuggers like gdb, visual studio,…) and environment (i.e. shell commands and scripting, editor, MS Word, Outlook, etc)
- Experienced in developing under Clearcase or similar source control products
- Effectively debug and work with low level data structures (hex dumps of data structures in memory and on storage devices)
- Familiar with Software Development Life cycle and processes
*Teradata is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: El Segundo
Community / Marketing Title: Sr. Staff File System Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: El Segundo, California US