Senior Hadoop Engineer
Location: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory AU
Requisition Number: 204174
Position Title: TB Sr. Data Eng (II)
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of Industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share —our united goal of making Teradata and our people the best we can be.
Data (Hadoop) Engineer
Data (Hadoop) Engineers define, administer and develop the architecture and design of data ingestion processing to meet functional and non-functional requirements and objectives. Engineers will generally be expected to have a broad understanding of the Hadoop architecture space and to be able to weigh the pros and cons of different approaches.
An Engineer works on implementing complex big data projects with a focus on ingesting, parsing, integrating, and managing large sets of unstructured data. Engineers embrace the challenge of dealing with petabytes of unstructured data and associated metadata daily. Engineers are involved in the design of big data solutions, leveraging the experience they have with Teradata and Hadoop based technologies such as Hive, Cassandra, and MapReduce. Strong communication skills are required to work in a team environment and with business sponsors of programs.
This role requires the candidate to have or be eligible for an Australian Government Security Clearance. In order to gain an Australian Government Security Clearance the candidate must be an Australian citizen.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Clarify the clients business problem for data analysis.
- Participate in requirements and design workshops with our clients.
- Translate the business requirements into technical requirements.
- Design and develop code, scripts, and data pipelines that leverage structured and unstructured data.
- Oversee the administration, design, development, evaluation, and selection of major databases and metadata structures.
- Develop project deliverable documentation
- Must be adept at sizing and estimating new projects, as well as supporting new business development
- Help establish thought leadership in the big data space by contributing to white-papers, technical commentary, and representing Teradata at industry conferences
- All consultants are expected to build value in themselves. Teradatas extensive library of both instructor led and web based training provides ample opportunity for the consultant to build and maintain marketable skills. Time has been allocated specifically for this task and each consultant is expected to have a Learning Plan. Progress against the learning plan is part of the annual appraisal.
- All consultants are expected to build value in their practice through the contribution and reuse of consulting assets. After each assigned project, a consultant is expected to evaluate the project deliverables and to contribute those items that may be useful to other consultants that may be assigned similar projects. When a new project is assigned, the consultant will search the asset repository for assets that may improve or accelerate the project delivery.
- Proven expertise in production software development
- Experience with large data sets consisting of structured and unstructured data and associated metadata and distributed computing with Teradata, Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Pig, etc.
- Proficiency in Java, SQL, NoSQL, Python relational database design and methods
- Linux / Unix experience
- Experience with Avro, Thrift
- JMS: ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, JBoss, etc.
- Experience with structured and unstructured data, and metadata.
- Work with the appropriate project management methodology (Agile or Waterfall) based upon customer and project requirements
- Experience leading technical teams
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Architecture Principles, Advocated Positions, Design Patterns, and Implementation Alternatives.
State: Australian Capital Territory
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Hadoop Engineer
Job Category: Consulting
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory AU