Sr. Staff Software Engineer – Platform
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Requisition Number: 217858
What You’ll Do:
Teradata Platform Software Engineers are key members of our Product Engineering organization responsible for developing and maintaining software allowing our product to operate in multiple deployment environments. These environments include traditional on-premises systems, public cloud installations (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud), and virtualized environments running various hardware implementations.
In this role you will be:
- Researching new technologies to advance functionality within our product.
- Creating and maintaining Linux Kernel-level software to support the platform infrastructure and helping advance our “Teradata Everywhere” strategy.
- Crafting and developing components of the network, security, and storage software stacks.
- Executing a complete engineering process, including refining requirements, engineering design of data structures/algorithms, implementation, peer review, developer testing, and post-GA support.
- Investigating and integrating Gen-AI technologies to assist in resolving complex network and storage IO issues. Additionally, contribute AI-driven insights and tools for internal development teams, improving troubleshooting and training processes.
The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of Linux operating systems, network attached storage, and networking concepts and implementations. Experience working with cloud systems is highly desirable. Work functions will include defining network and storage architectural direction, successfully communicating and socializing design concepts, development, integration, and functional testing of approved designs, and providing level 4 engineering support as the need arises after product release.
Who You’ll Work With:
This position is for Sr Staff Engineer for our Platform Engineering team. Our team is comprised of engineers working on core kernel software, evaluating new hardware and software components, training our support organization on supporting new products, and providing engineering support and guidance to our global support team.
Our team develops the basic plumbing for scalable MPP systems. Providing shared storage for dozens of servers, and efficient network communications for hundreds of servers, is the basis for high-performance and highly scalable database systems.
What Makes You a Qualified Candidate:
- Deep understanding of Linux Kernel concepts.
- Proficiency with C, bash and Python.
- Experience with complex network topologies and industry standard technologies.
- Experience working with Intel processors and performance optimization in this environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to assist our customer facing teams in customer support cases related to network and storage IO. Ability to provide similar support to internal development teams and training to support personnel.
- Knowledge of and experience with DevOps automation tools and libraries.
Minimum Education and Residency Requirements. Must meet one or more of the following:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 8+ years of work experience.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline with 6+ years of work experience.
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline with 3+ years of work experience requirement.
What You’ll Bring:
- SuSE Linux experience
- Experience working with ARM processors a plus.
- Background with distributed systems or massively parallel processing desirable.
- Teradata Vantage experience ideal.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Sr. Staff Software Engineer – Platform
Job Category: Engineering
At Teradata, we believe that people thrive when empowered with better information. That’s why we built the most complete cloud analytics and data platform for AI. By delivering harmonized data, trusted AI, and faster innovation, we uplift and empower our customers—and our customers’ customers—to make better, more confident decisions. The world’s top companies across every major industry trust Teradata to improve business performance, enrich customer experiences, and fully integrate data across the enterprise.
LinkedIn Remote: #LI-Remote
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US