Staff Software Engineer
Location: Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Requisition Number: 216551
Title: Staff Software Engineer
Teradata Labs is where cutting-edge innovations in data management turn into business value.
Our outstanding team of database architects and software engineers work together to understand and advance emerging technologies to produce the next wave of big data analytic solutions. Teradata Database is the core of Teradata Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) systems that run on-premises and in hybrid clouds to manage and optimize sophisticated workloads.
The heart of Teradata Database is its cloud-based best-in-class query optimization engine. We work on query optimization techniques in database and analytics engines, machine learning algorithms, scalability and elasticity issues in the cloud, and many other exciting challenges related to performance, usability, accessibility and integration.
The Database Query Optimization group at Teradata Labs has an opening for Staff Software Engineer. In this role, you are expected to contribute to the design, development, and testing of new enhancements and advanced features for the Teradata Vantage Core Platform.
Responsibilities / Interesting Work You’ll Do
- Responsible for architecting and designing complex features spanning multiple product areas of Teradata database in an agile software development environment.
- Candidate should have the skills to research and establish technical direction for complex feature development and perform functional and performance problem analysis. As needed, candidate must be able to perform competitive analysis of competing database management systems and data integration solutions, and provide recommendations on Teradata offering changes to close competitive gaps and enhance competitive advantages
- Design, implement, validate, and test new database and novel query optimization features and perform functional and performance analysis of code defects and correction of the defects.
- Contribute to the delivery and continuous support of robust, resilient, and quality database features
- Work with Product Owners, Architects and Engineering Managers and lead a small team of developers to deliver high quality database features
- Help feature manager with technical aspects of features and projects including plan, track and provide status on large projects
Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science(B.Tech) or related discipline, with at least eight years of related research or industry, or
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science(M.Tech/MCA) or related discipline, with at least five years of related research or industry experience, or
- D. in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least three years of related research or industry experience
Ideally, you will also have the following
Strong programming skills preferably in C/C++ and good understanding of object-oriented software design and design patterns
- Good understanding of SQL, data structures, database internals and OS fundamentals
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale, elastic and highly available cloud database services or distributed systems
- Having a good understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) / Public Cloud technologies
- Ability to design and architect software for high performance leveraging the knowledge of processor architectures like ARM / x86 and compiler toolchains like LLVM
- Good to have low-level system development experience and troubleshooting performance and functional issues
- Abilities to debug complex software in a highly parallel and distributed processing environments
- Passionate, self-motivated, risk taker, pro-active, initiative taker, good communicator (written & verbal), creative, and team-oriented
- Experience using Agile software development methods and tools
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19.
The work location for the open positions is at our facility located in Hyderabad, Telangana.
Benefits You’ll Enjoy
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, insurance and medical coverage and strong work/family programs.
*Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Community / Marketing Title: Staff Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata is the connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics company. Our enterprise analytics solve business challenges from start to scale. Only Teradata gives you the flexibility to handle the massive and mixed data workloads of the future, today.
The Teradata Vantage architecture is cloud native, delivered as-a-service, and built on an open ecosystem. These design features make Vantage the ideal platform to optimize price performance in a multi-cloud environment.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hyderabad, Telangana IN