Sr. Staff Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Requisition Number: 216484
This position is for a Staff Software Engineer on the Regulus Team within incubation. The Regulus Team was created as a collaborative effort between Teradata’s Innovation Lab and Product Engineering departments to deliver next-generation technology at an accelerated pace. Current work involves the Teradata SQL Engine, native object storage, and public cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. This includes:
- Development of cloud provisioning services and lifecycle management.
- Integration of new data clients and supporting services.
- Enablement of new data sources, formats, and collaboration options.
- Architecting advanced new configuration management services.
We are looking for a candidate to join our fast-paced and cutting-edge development organization that is at the forefront of our “Teradata Everywhere” strategy. Teradata Labs, the technology research and development (R&D) organization within Teradata Corporation, has been turning innovative decision support technology into business results for over 30 years. Our R&D team of analytic architects, database developers, and engineers work to understand and advance emerging technologies to invent the next wave of cutting-edge analytic data solutions.
This position is for a Staff Software Engineer role on the Regulus Team within incubation. The position involves leading the development of the provisioning services architecture, collaborating with other architects and engineers concerning integration and overall provisioning strategy, helping to define best practices, and mentoring engineers on the team.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated and creative software developer who is ready to participate in an agile team environment and contribute to the success of Teradata. The successful candidate will possess a solid understanding of the architectural principles relevant to SQL Engine and related services (e.g., cloud networking, GRPC and RESTful services, security, distributed computing, etc.). The candidate must have proven experience designing solutions for container and instance-based services on one or more of the AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud platforms. Familiarity with Teradata Vantage is also desirable, but not required. They must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven, and deliver high-quality results in a fast-paced environment. They need to enjoy working closely with their peers in a group of very talented engineers.
- Member of an agile development team responsible for Project Regulus deliverables.
- Design the services and libraries that enable provisioning and runtime operations of the Teradata Regulus component on our supported public cloud platforms.
- Coordinate with other architects and engineers within Teradata to ensure integration requirements are met.
- Ensure quality and efficiency within their team by helping to guide engineering best practices and mentoring engineers on the team.
- Implement proofs-of-concept for new engineering efforts.
- Assist with debugging challenging problems.
- Excellent troubleshooting, listening, and problem-solving skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced agile scrum development environment.
- Proven experience building and supporting services on cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, VMWare, etc.
- Experience developing with multiple cloud SDKs and Terraform.
- Demonstrated expertise in the Go programming language.
- Strong knowledge of cloud storage concepts, including block and object storage.
- Proven experience with GRPC and RESTful services development and design.
- Experience with front-end development and frameworks like Angular or React.
- Demonstrated expertise with container technologies and microservices, including Docker and Kubernetes.
- Knowledge of modern configuration management systems and Linux system administration such as Salt, Puppet, or Ansible.
- Familiarity with C, bash, SQL, make, Python, TLS.
- Experience with DevOps automation tools and libraries.
- Experience with Teradata Vantage a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Minimum Education and Residency Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 12+ years of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline with 8+ years of relevant experience.
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 5+ years of relevant experience
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Sr. Staff Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata is the connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics company. Our enterprise analytics solve business challenges from start to scale. Only Teradata gives you the flexibility to handle the massive and mixed data workloads of the future, today.
The Teradata Vantage architecture is cloud native, delivered as-a-service, and built on an open ecosystem. These design features make Vantage the ideal platform to optimize price performance in a multi-cloud environment.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US