Senior Cloud Migration Technical Advisor
Multiple Locations: Atlanta, GA, USA • San Diego, CA, USA
Requisition Number: 215451
The Senior Cloud Migration Technical Advisor is responsible for ensuring that technical obstacles are mitigated for large global clients migrating to the Cloud (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure). This role is a Senior role on the cloud migration team with additional duties required to provide leadership to other Cloud Implementation Managers, as well as, assisting to creating data driven processes to reduce of the Cloud Migration Team.
This role includes ownership of technical and service elements related to cloud migration project engagements. Specifically, this individual will be responsible as the single point of contact for:
- Identify potential 'hot spots' and ensure best practices have been applied
- Work with the customer on migration planning activities including other parts of the ecosystem (ETL, BI, and Analytic Applications).
- Determine scope and complexity to ensure that migration related challenges are identified and mitigated as early as possible
- Set customer expectations for the migration discovery process and the need for testing as a mitigation strategy
- Set proper customer expectations regarding the migration timeline, processes, participants, and roles & responsibilities
- Creating solution diagrams which communicates key architecture components and functions which can be used to facilitate understanding and agreement between all involved parties.
- Identify migration approaches (DTU, Data Mover, etc.) which meet migration windows, reduce risk, and accelerate migration timelines.
- Provide oversight and guidance on “out of the ordinary” cloud migration issues. Work with subject matter experts to ensure that an acceptable solution is created for the client. Examples:
- Understand customer requirements and develop a strawman custom BAR solution to meet demanding Recovery Point Objectives.
- Describe differences in how DBA tasks are done on-premises versus in the cloud.
- Describe how network redundancy can be achieved to Teradata cloud instances.
- Continually look for new ways to identify migration risks through data driven discovery via SQL or other scripts. Then transform the raw data into easily understandable charts. Freely share the discovery code and charts to enhance existing processes such as the UTF “upgrade testing framework” so that it can be leveraged for all cloud migrations. Examples:
- Identify LAN and mainframe peak, and daily ingress, and egress volumes by utility.
- Identify peak and overall ingress/ egress volumes of DSA for BAR by jobname, runtimes
- Identify peak and overall ingress/ egress volumes of DSA traffic for Data Mover by jobname, runtimes
- Identify peak and overall ingress and egress volumes of QueryGrid (T2T) traffic by jobname, runtimes
- Ensure that network throughput meets the minimum expected throughput and escalate the resolution if the throughput is abnormally low.
- Quickly identify key issues and involve appropriate subject matter experts to provide a timely resolution to unresolved issues.
- Recommend to the customer which critical workloads or applications need testing and gain their agreement to test or their willingness to accept the risk of not testing.
- Provide customers with optimal driver settings and tunables.
- Coordinate cross-functional activities with Customer, TD Consulting and/or Partner(s)
- Orchestrate the on-boarding activities with the customer, TD, and Cloud Service Provider (CSP).
- Lead the customer, TD Consulting and/or Partner(s) on migration development activities including other parts of the ecosystem (ETL, BI, and Analytic Applications).
Assist in ensuring that functional and performance testing and troubleshooting of the applications is performed
Assist in performance remediation assistance
Key Areas of Responsibility
Sample responsibilities and expected deliverables.
- Capture best practices & lessons learned, including identifying gaps in Teradata processes or products, as well as setting realistic customer expectations. Examples:
- Comparing DTU performance across multiple customers to identify realistic expectations as well as compare actual to forecast results to improve our forecast accuracy.
- Document describing what changes in the cloud from a customer perspective
- Identifying benefits such as increased performance, better DR, etc. from cloud migrations
- Create reusable templates which can be leveraged across multiple clients to ensure a timely smooth migration. Examples:
- Checklist for key migration issues
- Test strategies as well as reusable detailed test plans for common patterns
- Network performance troubleshooting
- DRaaS (disaster recovery as a service) and BaaS (bar as a service) high level diagrams
- Work with engineering to improve our products when necessary. As an example, recommending that DTU leverage multiple hash maps when the target system has more amps than the source.
- Assist in the development of cloud migration training courses.
- Assist in the refinement of playbook for successful cloud migrations with lessons learned
- Develop relationships and governance for each Cloud Migration with the customer, partners, and Teradata stakeholders.
- Manage overall customer experience before, immediately preceding, and during Cloud Migration
- Develop in-depth understanding of the customer’s objectives in migrating to the Cloud.
- Engage at all levels of the customer from the Senior Executives to the Database Administrator (DBA)
- Develop strong relationships and build advocacy with key decision makers at Customers.
- Identify risks/issues for the migration and the corresponding mitigation strategy for each.
- Work closely with Teradata Customer Support (CS&S), Global Support (GSO), and the Cloud Migration (CM), Cloud Operations, Teradata Consulting teams to ensure appropriate resources are assigned as necessary.
- Create and generate communication plan for each Cloud Migration.
- Engage with the customer and partners to ensure tasks outside of Teradata are understood and being executed.
- Identify and provide context for potential service or other opportunities.
- Lead other Implementation Managers in America’s including mentoring and best practices
- Work with the Global Leader on overall governance for Cloud Migrations
- Advocate & train on Cloud Migration Playbook and best practices to internal teams and Partners.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the firstname.lastname@example.org inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Cloud Migration Technical Advisor
Job Category: Services
Teradata is the connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics company. Our enterprise analytics solve business challenges from start to scale. Only Teradata gives you the flexibility to handle the massive and mixed data workloads of the future, today.
The Teradata Vantage architecture is cloud native, delivered as-a-service, and built on an open ecosystem. These design features make Vantage the ideal platform to optimize price performance in a multi-cloud environment.
LinkedIn Remote: #LI-Remote
Location_formattedLocationLong: Atlanta, Georgia US