Engineering Manager, Cloud Services
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Requisition Number: 212802
Are you passionate about building highly scalable, fault tolerant, elastic, and secure services in public cloud environments? Do you enjoy managing and providing technical leadership to a team of engineers?
Teradata, the world's leading data analytics company is looking for engineering managers who are passionate about building cloud services to join our Teradata Cloud team. This is a unique opportunity to join our team in a period of fast growth and expansion. If you are interested in working in a startup like environment where you can directly influence the future of cloud-based analytics solutions and services, then Teradata Cloud is the place for you. You will lead a team of engineers, to build cloud services that bring Teradata’s analytics capabilities to the public cloud platforms.
This role shall be responsible to lead a team comprising of highly technical individual contributors from various aspect of cloud software engineering discipline - back-end micro services, UI services, DevOps specialists, Database evangelists and cloud support and delivery.
Ideal candidate for this role will have a proven track record of building large, scalable SaaS products, efficient problem solver, customer-obsessed, and a people-centric manager.
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Coordinate with Product Management, UX and architects to come up with high level design for the features, estimates, plan and timelines for the delivery.
- Develop services following good architecture and design principles that you and your team will find easy to work with in the future and can create good maintainable code.
- Defines, documents and manages scope, expectations, implementation approach, deliverables and acceptance testing criteria.
- Participate in architecture reviews related to performance and scalability of products
- Proactive in pre-empting dependencies, risks and bottlenecks with its mitigation plan.
- Put in place best-in-class processes for ensuring high quality and high uptime for the product developed by the team
- Driving quality process and initiatives throughout the product lifecycle to eliminate architecture, design and coding defects at the source
- Establish and develop industry best-practices on operations activities: incident management, deployment, monitoring, automation, backups and resiliency.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of development, debugging, administration and automation frameworks.
- Provide guidance to the team in an efficient and agile manner measured with industry leading metrics.
- Ensure highly available services with zero downtime. Be responsible for developing, running and supporting the SaaS service in partnership with the Level-1/2 operations teams
- Contributing to talent hiring, people skill development, setting objectives and goals
- Establish lean engineering practices such as CI/CD, TDD, effective code reviews, etc.
- Foster an environment of innovation and continuous improvement
- Take the lead on larger projects where outcomes are typically defined but approach undetermined.
- Use data to identify trends to efficiencies to continually improve service.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience
- At least 7 years of hands-on software development experience.
- At least 3 years as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead
- Experience with designing, building, and operating distributed complex software systems on Google Cloud Platform, AWS or Azure.
- Strong computer science fundamentals in system design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- Demonstrated proficiency with at least one modern general-purpose programming languages like Java, C++, Go, Python, etc.
- Experience in building DevOps processes to support mission critical, 24x7 systems
- Experience in full stack development.
- Experience implementing software engineering best practices within your team.
- Experience with Teradata (or other RDMS) and NoSQL technologies.
- Experience with Serverless technologies provided by Public Cloud platforms
- Experience with Container related technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the firstname.lastname@example.org inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Engineering Manager, Cloud Services
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata is the connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics company. Our enterprise analytics solve business challenges from start to scale. Only Teradata gives you the flexibility to handle the massive and mixed data workloads of the future, today.
The Teradata Vantage architecture is cloud native, delivered as-a-service, and built on an open ecosystem. These design features make Vantage the ideal platform to optimize price performance in a multi-cloud environment.
LinkedIn Remote: #LI-Remote
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US