Data Science Engineering Tech Lead
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Requisition Number: 212732
Teradata’s Data Science and Analytics Engineering Group are seeking an exceptional candidate proficient in leading the research and development of in-database analytics products. Members of this group are highly accomplished and hold MSc and PhDs from top colleges and universities in the world. As tech lead of the Data Science and Analytics Engineering team, the candidate will work with members of the team to research, design, and implement enterprise quality, distributed, scalable and high performing Teradata Analytics Platform analytic functions (Machine Learning, Statistical, Text, and others), and with other cross-functional teams for end-to-end productization of analytic functions. The tech lead will also interact with the Field and Product Management to help drive the engineering of the analytic functions in the roadmap.
We encourage our scientists and engineers to participate in developing key intellectual property (IP) for Teradata by writing patents, publishing in international conferences and journals, and attending conferences.
- Coaching developers on technical matters
- Review code and design
- Pair with team members to help them get unstuck
- Review testing plans (functional, performance, etc) and results
- Interact with the Field and Product Managers to influence the roadmap
- Collaborate closely with the platform, Quality Engineering, and other engineering teams for the productization of analytic functions
- Research, prototype, design and implement advanced analytics and machine learning algorithms running on Teradata’s MPP Advanced Analytics Platform
- Investigate alternative algorithms and designs and present them for architectural review
- Evaluate, investigate, and optimize the performance of analytic functions
- Drive the development and support of key analytic features and functions throughout its life cycle, from conception to support and enhancement
- At least 5 years of experience as a technical lead or Sr developer with equivalent responsibilities
- At least 5 years of experience developing enterprise-quality analytic products
- Mastery in C programming
- Strong foundations in linear algebra, statistics, machine learning
- Strong foundations in data structures and Machine Learning algorithms
- At least 10 years of software engineering experience
- Ability to design and develop functions that are distributed implementations of complex analytics and machine learning algorithms
- Good understanding of distributed systems and parallel data processing
- Ability and passion to iteratively assess, tune and improve the quality and performance to make highly competitive products
- Ability to come up with alternative designs and evaluate the tradeoffs
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects
- Experience with test-driven development
- Ability to work closely and collaborate with others in the team and across functional groups
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- PhD degree in computer science/mathematics/statistics/physics/engineering, or equivalent work experience
Exceptional Master of Science graduates will be given consideration
- Experience in performance optimization and building of high performant data processing applications is a highly desirable
- Experience with Java, R and Python
Experience in Hadoop, Spark, TensorFlow, and related technologies is a plus
- Experience in developing database applications is a plus
* Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Data Science Engineering Tech Lead
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US