Senior Staff Database Optimizer Engineer (Virtual, US)
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Requisition Number: 212721
Senior Staff Database Optimizer Engineer
Location: San Diego/Seattle/El Segundo (Virtual US considered)
Teradata is a market-leading hybrid and multi-cloud analytics provider. Our Cloud Database team has a dedicated focus on extending core technology and interfaces to be fully cloud-native to better enable ease of use, elasticity, and enhanced ecosystem integration. Engineers who join our team will work on fundamental re-design and innovation in core database technology to enable the strongest cloud capabilities.
What You'll Do
- Design, implement, and unit test query optimization features for Teradata database software leveraging agile and continuous delivery methodologies.
- Bring out-of-the-box ideas to improve query performance that fits into the share-nothing architecture.
- Review and the architecture and design of optimizer features and other features that interact with query optimizer and recommend enhancements.
- Perform competitive analysis of other database management systems, other data integration solutions, and recommend Teradata cloud database changes to close competitive gaps or to enhance competitive advantages.
- Work closely with Database Front Line and Customer Support team to provide technical guidance to minimize customer turnaround time
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline
- Ability to work in the US without sponsorship, as this role does not provide sponsorship for visas
- 8+ years of engineering experience, contributing towards all aspects of an Agile SDLC
- 8+ years experience developing and working on Database Query Optimzer
- 8+ years of experience in C++ and C programming language and LINUX/UNIX kernel interfaces
- Experience with SQL and database technologies including a thorough understanding of database logical and physical design concepts
- Experience with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark
- Strong analytical abilities involving complex software in a parallel processing environment
- Ability to explain complex technical issues in a way that non-technical people may understand
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Staff Database Optimizer Engineer (Virtual, US)
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US