Senior Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Requisition Number: 212638
Location: San Diego, CA - Open to Remote
Teradata Global Support Operations is expanding and building capabilities to further drive our company and function’s transformation. In System Change Management team, our vision is to enable customers to achieve continuous delivery of Teradata software updates with minimal downtime, maximum reliability, and high predictability. Specifically, we develop change management automation to:
- Automate the planning of complex multi-component upgrades
- Reduce customer effort in preparing for a system change event
- Automate the preparation, delivery, and validation of a system change event
- Increase overall customer satisfaction and confidence in adopting new Teradata features and services.
We are seeking a high performing senior software engineer to accelerate and bolster our team’s capability. The primary responsibility of this candidate will be to contribute to design and development of software that enhances system change experience for customers. This candidate will participate in technical discussions, scrum team routines, and special projects. They will implement features and capabilities to expand our code base to further automated our upgrade procedures. The candidate must thrive on automation, be a self-starter, and drive new ways of solving problems.
Key Responsibilities / Profile Summary:
- Interpret internal and/or external business issues and requirements and recommend best design.
- Assist Product Owner in validating, analyzing and prioritizing complex features and use cases as needed
- Participate in scrum teams to achieve key business objectives
- Follow TDD practices; write effective tests and associated code that meets or exceeds product requirements
- Participate in code reviews; adapt Agile (scrum) and Lean-Agile practices
- Collaborate with onshore and offshore teams to coordinate design, coding and code review activities
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and lead resolution of software defects
- Act as a go-to resource on technical challenges for junior colleagues
- Promote and rely on analysis of factual and qualitative information to influence technical decisions
- Effectively communicate to relevant stakeholders in both, written and verbal forms
Critical Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong proficiency in English (written & verbal)
- BS degree in computer science or computer engineering
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in software development (ideally in Python with automated testing using PyTest)
- Experience in distributed system design, data structures, and object-oriented programming
- Work independently with minimum guidance; collaborate with the team on design reviews, code reviews and user experience related items
- Hands-on experience in working with Linux Operating System and using shell scripting
- In-depth knowledge of Agile (Scrum) practices
- Strong expertise in building/interacting with RESTful services, and working with RDBMS (PostgreSQL, SQLite, etc,), and SQL
- Comfortable and flexible in working with globally distributed teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Hands-on experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) practices and modern software development best practices
- Experience in creating orchestrated workflows to automate system management and administration activities using ServiceNow IT Operations Management (ITOM)
- Dev Environment and configuration management tools: Ansible, Vagrant, Puppet, Chef
- Source code control systems: Git
- Build Agents: Jenkins (preferred), TeamCity
- Containerization using Docker and Kubernetes
- Previous experience in leading technical projects
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the email@example.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata is the connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics company. Our enterprise analytics solve business challenges from start to scale. Only Teradata gives you the flexibility to handle the massive and mixed data workloads of the future, today.
The Teradata Vantage architecture is cloud native, delivered as-a-service, and built on an open ecosystem. These design features make Vantage the ideal platform to optimize price performance in a multi-cloud environment.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US