Senior Platform Support Engineer (Performance SME)
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Requisition Number: 212430
Senior Platform Support Engineer (Performance SME)
Teradata Global Support Organization’s Platform Group focuses a multitude of platform (On Prem and Cloud) related areas. Teradata Support Engineers are key members of an expert team focused on solving customer issues and delivering a myriad of deep-level technical solutions to both internal and external audiences. The teams support each other and work together to solve complex problems and improve processes and tools. If you have a desire to work on the cutting edge of technology and face challenging problems, then this position is for you. It offers an excellent way to apply and grow capabilities, create and nurture relationships, and contribute to Teradata’s Success.
As Senior Platform Support Engineer, you will be engaged in the various areas across the Platform organization. Initial focus on system sizing and performance issues which include DBS/OS/PDE/TVS, HW (node/external storage), Cloud sizing and engaging in performance analysis of Teradata system-level solutions and customer system performance issues. Performing analysis, understanding resource utilization/consumption, as well as issues related to platform architecture, configuration, sizing and much more. To be successful, you should possess strong system-level analytical skills and an excellent understanding of methodologies and tools used to monitor and identify system performance issues. You will take accountability and own issues/incidents end-to-end.
What You’ll Do
- Focus on all incoming performance issue and understand if there are any configuration or sizing needs to be reviewed.
- SME for platform sizing and configuration. Participate in engineering discussion.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert applying a deep understanding of the Teradata database and workloads to customer performance problems
- Act as Subject Matter Expert in a multitude of areas with the overall Platform space
- Work with Teradata Engineering and the field on problem resolution and problem recreation
- Participate in HG and On call rotation.
- Full ownership of incidents. Actively engage in investigations and analysis. Drive incident to resolution and identify root cause. Recreate problems to identify root cause analysis.
- Be recognized as a technical authority amongst peers and co-workers
- Apply an understanding of constructs such as Block-level compression, fallback, large data blocks and system parameters to problem resolution
- Drive discussions with team members, other PST’s, Managed Services, Product Development, and the Performance COE
- Provide new and existing feature assessments and advise on how customer will be impacted
- Provide input to Engineering on issues seen in the field and make recommendations for product improvements
- Provide thought leadership around tools and automation
- Will lead projects, project teams, hot issues, that have moderate complexity and/or risk.
- Critical case management
- Communicate complex concepts
- Anticipating needs, objections
- Influence others
- External communication with customers and/or vendors
- Lead discussions with internal and external customers to deliver technical analysis and solutions for Teradata product issues.
- Advise, coach and mentor less experienced team members
- Full stack understanding from Hardware, Operating System to Database. Or ability quickly gain deep understanding of Platform and OS architecture and Teradata Database
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline and 8+ years of experience; or equivalent experience.
- Proven effective leadership in a geographically dispersed support team environment
- Significant experience with Linux and large server architecture
- 24x7x365 support environment/experience and willingness to work on-call rotation, weekends and after hours. High reliability and availability engaged even when not on-call
- Proven experience supporting customers using complex configurations/products
- Exposure to various performance analysis tools such as; top, iostat, sar, puma, awtmon, DBQL, TASM, ResUsage, perflook, perfstats, PDCR, WLM or ability to quickly learn
- Exposure to PMCOD/WMCOD/CPUCOD, tdsched, TIM, Tcore, CDS
- Teradata Certified Master
- Deep expertise on overall platform including database and OS performance.
- Cloud knowledgeable
- Working knowledge of a multitude of areas within the overall platform stack
Teradata is an equal opportunity employer in all aspects of our business. We are excited by the unique qualities, abilities, and perspectives each person brings, and candidates are considered on all the fundamentals they may bring to the role and the team.
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Platform Support Engineer (Performance SME)
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata is the connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics company. Our enterprise analytics solve business challenges from start to scale. Only Teradata gives you the flexibility to handle the massive and mixed data workloads of the future, today.
The Teradata Vantage architecture is cloud native, delivered as-a-service, and built on an open ecosystem. These design features make Vantage the ideal platform to optimize price performance in a multi-cloud environment.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Melbourne, Victoria AU