Principal Software Engineer
Location: El Segundo, California, United States
Requisition Number: 212388
Principal Software Engineer
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of Industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share —our united goal of making Teradata and our people, the best we can be.
Teradata Labs is where cutting-edge innovations in data management and analytics turn into business value. Our outstanding team of database and analytic architects and software engineers work together to understand and advance emerging technologies to invent the next wave of big data analytic solutions. Teradata Database is the core of Teradata Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) systems that run on-premises and in hybrid clouds to manage and optimize sophisticated workloads.
The heart of Teradata Database is its cloud-based best-in-class query optimization engine. We work on query optimization techniques in database and analytics engines, machine learning algorithms, scalability and elasticity issues in the cloud, and many other exciting challenges related to performance, usability, accessibility and integration.
The Database Query Optimization group at Teradata Labs has an opening for Principal Software Engineer. In this role, you are expected to lead and establish technical direction for the team while delivering new enhancements and advanced features for the Teradata Vantage Core Platform.
Responsibilities / Interesting Work You’ll Do
- Work with the Product Management team and other stake holders, in understanding new requirements in the Query Processing area, breaking them down into Engineering Requirements and providing scoping and sizing guidelines, working alongside other functional teams
- Drive and own roadmaps in the Optimizer area and contribute to overall product roadmap discussions
- Handle the role of Product Owner and guide Agile scrum teams to a successful delivery of a complex feature
- Have a strong understanding of the Agile software delivery life cycle from software design through customer support
- Be a strong mentor to the Optimizer team members. Train and guide the Optimizer team on the current infrastructure and upcoming enhancements.
- Architect, design and drive the implementation of query optimization features for Teradata database software
- Bring out-of-the box ideas to improve query performance that fit into a massively parallel system architecture
- Review the architecture and design of the optimizer features and other features that interact with query optimizer
- Research on new emerging and advanced technologies, new Optimization techniques, machine learning and automation, newer platform capabilities like vector processing, GPU, new capabilities native to cloud environment etc, and inject them into Query processing and the Optimizer to further improve the system’s capability to handle complex query
- Research and contribute on new use cases like Advanced Analytics, data lake query processing etc.
- Provide consultation and technical guidance within and outside of the team
- Provide support for critical customer issues and also provide consultation and review for sustaining DR fixes
- Provide support and consultation for benchmark issues and questions
- Contribute to Query Optimizer overall Quality improvement
Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least twelve years of related progressive research or industry experience, or
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least ten years of related progressive research or industry experience, or
- D. in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least seven years of related progressive research or industry experience
- Strong technical leadership in composing very complex and visionary idea in cloud-based data management specifically in the area of query processing & optimization & analytics
Ideally, you will also have the following
- Strong knowledge of Query Optimization techniques and understanding of relational databases
- Strong experience of working on database internals of complex, parallel, distributed and elastic database systems
- Deep understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) / Public Cloud technologies and operations and its relationship to Query Processing
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale, elastic and highly available cloud database services or distributed systems
- Top-notch programming skills in C++, Java, Python, R, SQL (several years of experience or equivalent academic studies required)
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, design patterns, and test driver development
- System development experience
- Strong analytical and debugging abilities involving complex software in a parallel processing environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Passionate, self-motivated, risk taker, pro-active, initiative taker, excellent communicator (written & verbal), creative, and ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Experience using Agile software development methods and tools
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19.
The work location for the open positions is El Segundo, California (primarily) or Rancho Bernardo in San Diego, California. Travel requirements : 5%
Benefits You’ll Enjoy
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
*Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the firstname.lastname@example.org inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: El Segundo
Community / Marketing Title: Principal Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata is the connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics company. Our enterprise analytics solve business challenges from start to scale. Only Teradata gives you the flexibility to handle the massive and mixed data workloads of the future, today.
The Teradata Vantage architecture is cloud native, delivered as-a-service, and built on an open ecosystem. These design features make Vantage the ideal platform to optimize price performance in a multi-cloud environment.
Location_formattedLocationLong: El Segundo, California US