Senior Database Development Engineer
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Requisition Number: 212271
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of Industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share —our united goal of making Teradata and our people, the best we can be.
Teradata’s Product Engineering Group is seeking exceptional candidates proficient in database concepts and and interested in advanced analytics to join our research and development organization. Members of Teradata’s Product Engineering Group are highly accomplished and hold MSc and PhDs from top colleges and universities in the world. As a member of the Database Extensibility engineering team, the candidate will work in collaboration with other members of engineering to research, design and implement extensions to the Teradata database to support Time-Series Forecasting and Digital Signal Processing functions. These new analytic functions will exhibit the industry leading scalability, performance and quality that is demanded by our customers.
We encourage our scientists and engineers to participate in developing key intellectual property (IP) for Teradata by writing patents, publishing in international conferences and journals, and attending conferences. The team you will be joining has a track record of high innovation and is responsible for producing many patents over the years.
- Extending the database to support new analytic functions. This includes modifying and extending the SQL syntax and modifying the resolver, the optimizer and step processing in support of internal API’s used by new analytics.
- Research, prototype, design and implement highly scalable parallel database code to run on MPP Advanced Analytics Platform, using C and C++
- Collaborate closely with platform, Quality Engineering, and other engineering teams for end to end design and implementation of the analytic functions.
- Use tools to improve code quality and test coverage of the code produced.
- Work with the QE team to develop tests to ensure high quality.
- Evaluate, investigate, and optimize the performance of the features implemented
- Drive the development and support of features throughout its life cycle, from conception to support and enhancement
- Mastery in efficient C and C++ programming
- Strong foundations in database internal concepts.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Background and interest in statistics for time-Series analytics
- Ability and passion to iteratively assess, tune and improve quality to make highly competitive products
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Good understanding of distributed systems and parallel data processing
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects
- Ability to work closely and collaborate with others in the team and across functional groups
- MS degree or Phd in computer science/mathematics/statistics/physics/engineering preferred (or equivalent work experience)
- Exceptional Bachelor of Science graduates with 20 years relevant experience will be given consideration
- Experience in performance optimization, and building of high-performance data processing applications is a highly desirable
- Experience with R and/or Python, MathLab
- Experience with test-driven development is a plus
* Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the firstname.lastname@example.org inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Database Development Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata is the connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics company. Our enterprise analytics solve business challenges from start to scale. Only Teradata gives you the flexibility to handle the massive and mixed data workloads of the future, today.
The Teradata Vantage architecture is cloud native, delivered as-a-service, and built on an open ecosystem. These design features make Vantage the ideal platform to optimize price performance in a multi-cloud environment.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US