VP, Product Operations & Engagement
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 212253
VP, Product Operations & Engagement
The VP, Product Operations & Engagement is a key leadership position in Teradata’s Product organization. This role serves as a direct report to the EVP of Product and acts as the head of the product & services operations and engagement for Teradata. This position provides leadership and direction in product coordination/engagement, operations, marketing and sales functions, and pricing & packaging. The ideal candidate will work in the Product organization and work with internal and external stakeholders especially in tight coupling with our Engineering, Go-to-Market (Sales) and Marketing teams. The ideal candidate must be passionate about the technology solutions, industry and the company’s customers, offerings and employees. Excellent product management, operations, data interpretation, interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), negotiating & influencing and leadership skills will be critical. Success depends on building rapport and credibility with multiple stakeholders across the organization and the company at every level. The candidate must be a strategic thinker with experience in product management/operations who can assure that our products and services are delivered on time with the right elements required for our company to be successful. In this role, you will be the central coordination point for our product managers and our technology and innovation team creating a singular view of our product & services roadmaps. You will also assure alignment and integration of our product & technology strategy for our internal stakeholders as well as our field teams.
The VP, Product Operations and Engagement owns and is accountable for driving best practices and analyses for product operations. They will be required to develop and execute the strategy of the team and assure coordination of our products efforts are aligned to the company strategy. This position requires the ability to balance and influence multiple competing priorities and individuals and is responsible for assuring that the organization’s product operations are in place and are working optimally. The successful candidate will provide ownership and leadership for all of our key product initiatives and support the organization in assuring delivery.
It is essential for this role to collaborate, influence, and negotiate with product management, technology & architecture, sales, customer services, and engineering to understand the broad direction and the technology-driven requirements that influence and inform our product roadmaps.
In addition, the candidate will need to engage with customers and field leaders to gain a deep appreciation of customers’ needs and feedback. You will review and consult on the most complex field issues/ challenges with our product managers and architects to understand our customers’ data and analytics strategies, plans, and requirements. You will incorporate key learnings from these engagements as input into the product operations and delivery needs.
Product Operations and Engagement Organization’s Roles and Responsibilities
As the VP, Product Operations and Engagement, you will oversee 4 key functions:
- Coordination and Engagement
- Product Operations
- Product Marketing and Sales
- Pricing and Packaging.
The Coordination and Engagement is the key coordination and communication function for assuring product inputs are considered and key artifacts, engagements and communications are accomplished. It assures support of our sales teams regarding products and services. In this role you will lead/oversee:
- Field engagement/response for support of our customers and GTM teams
- Advisory boards (customer & internal) formulation and management
- Strategic communications about our products & services as well as our roadmap updates and delivery
- The delivery of technical artifacts, standards, & templates
- The coordination of product & services content for our key corporate events
- Communication/Coordination of our technology & product roadmap integration
- The coordination, administration and management of our innovation & ideation program
- The coordination of customer engagements in our executive briefing center
The Product Operations function is residence for our product lifecycle as well as the business intelligence, business cases development and our product portfolio. The responsibilities of this team are to:
- Establish and maintain the product lifecycle management
- Integrate our product & technology strategy
- Develop and maintain of business case framework which includes:
- Market Analysis (Gartner, Forrester, 3rd Party Research, etc.)
- Competitive Analysis inclusion
- QBR Framework
- Market Footprint
- Product Profitability
- Partnership Effectiveness
- Maintain, understand and leverage the current trends in the market and emerging technology
- Establish project management function for the organization
- Maintain and create updates and reviews for our product portfolio
The Product Marketing and Sales function is a primary interface between our Marketing and Sales team for coordination of content, user personas, launch, sales plays, and continuous support for running our current business. The key functions of this team are to:
- Develop and maintain user personas
- Draft first level content for positioning and differentiating our product and services
- Participate in launch planning and implementation for:
- Requirements for level 1 artifacts
- Activities for role
- Support sales plays
- Assure the on-going run the business activities are successful by maintaining assets and training
- Support Go-to-market strategy
- Support bringing offerings to market
- Review marketing content
- Provide product knowledge transfer to our teams
The Pricing and Packaging function is connected to our Deal Desk and other pricing groups to support Teradata in achieving its revenue goals. This team is responsible for:
- Pricing Strategy for the P & L rack rates
- Establishing our Product Packaging
- Price Point
- Pricing Modeling & Validation
- Applying Governance for pricing changes
- Monitor Pricing Effectiveness
- Owns and is accountable for Product Operations and Engagement for the Product organization.
- Collaborates across product management, engineering, marketing and our field sales team to assure alignment of our product and services delivery
- Updates EVP on a regular cadence to provide updates and progress against timelines.
- Contributes inputs into Teradata’s Product and Technology strategy.
- Develops and executes the strategy for Product Operations and Engagement team.
- Leads and manages the Product Operations and Engagement team and the functions as outlined above
- Drives and owns product operational functions that enables or product delivery and sales
- Establish a strong collaborative culture with peers and other functions within Teradata.
- Promote a culture of success, pride, performance, discipline, and creativity
- Lead and instill a sense of urgency for product and process improvement to meet and exceed customer requirements.
- Partners with our field teams for supporting our customer account teams and our customers.
- Works with industry partners to advance and fill capability gaps, leverage new standards, and assure Teradata achieves optimal value out of external solutions.
- Actively participate in architecture and design discussions with engineering teams across the entire company to help influence design and stability across the system
Skills and Attributes:
- Experience with pragmatic marketing framework
- Strong leadership skills, especially the ability to lead through influence across functional and organizational lines.
- Has demonstrated product management or operations in software and services engineering with a track-record for delivering
- Experience driving operational best practices into a corporate environment.
- Has demonstrated ability in recruiting and retaining high performing technical teams
- Outstanding leader and team player who is comfortable with open ended problems and ambiguity.
- Demonstrated ability to improve product processes across large teams
- Has excellent communication skills and the ability to present both business and technical information to a wide audience including customers, peers, and team.
- Will solicit the involvement of others to build a sense of ownership.
- Must have the confidence to act quickly and decisively when the market requires such agility, and the ability to challenge norms and existing processes.
- Strong organizational, administrative, presentation and analytical skills
- Executive presence with demonstrated ability to influence product direction and vision in matrixed environments.
- Proven experience of close partnership with Engineering, Marketing and Go to Market teams
- Demonstrated ability to influence and liaise with top executives internally, client companies, competitors, and key industry thought leaders
- BS in Business degree, or equivalent in industry experience in marketing, communications, product marketing, product management, or sales.
- 15 + years of enterprise software product management/operations
- 5+ years of staff management and/or product management leadership experience.
- Responsible for meeting budget and budget planning for the organization.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: VP, Product Operations & Engagement
Job Category: Product Management
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US