DATABASE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 212151
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of Industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse, and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share —our united goal of making Teradata and our people, the best we can be.
Teradata’s Product Engineering Group is seeking exceptional candidates proficient in database concepts and interested in advanced analytics to join our research and development organization. Members of Teradata’s Product Engineering Group are highly accomplished and hold MSc and PhDs from top colleges and universities in the world. As a member of the Database Extensibility engineering team, the candidate will work in collaboration with other members of engineering to research, design, and implement extensions to the Teradata database to support Time-Series Forecasting and Digital Signal Processing functions. These new analytic functions will exhibit the industry-leading scalability, performance, and quality that is demanded by our customers.
We encourage our scientists and engineers to participate in developing key intellectual property (IP) for Teradata by writing patents, publishing in international conferences and journals, and attending conferences. The team you will be joining has a track record of high innovation and is responsible for producing many patents over the years.
- Extending the database to support new analytic functions. This includes modifying and extending the SQL syntax and modifying the resolver, the optimizer, and step processing in support of internal APIs used by new analytics.
- Research, prototype, design and implement highly scalable parallel database code to run on MPP Advanced Analytics Platform, using C and C++
- Collaborate closely with the platform, Quality Engineering, and other engineering teams for end-to-end design and implementation of the analytic functions.
- Use tools to improve code quality and test coverage of the code produced.
- Work with the QE team to develop tests to ensure high quality.
- Evaluate, investigate, and optimize the performance of the features implemented
- Drive the development and support of features throughout its life cycle, from conception to support and enhancement
- Mastery inefficient C and C++ programming
- Strong foundations in database internal concepts.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Background and interest in statistics for time-Series analytics
- Ability and passion to iteratively assess, tune and improve quality to make highly competitive products
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Good understanding of distributed systems and parallel data processing
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects
- Ability to work closely and collaborate with others in the team and across functional groups
- MS degree in computer science/mathematics/statistics/physics/engineering preferred (or equivalent work experience)
- Exceptional Bachelor of Science graduates will be given consideration
- Experience in performance optimization and building of high-performance data processing applications is a highly desirable
- Experience with R and/or Python, MathLab
- Experience with test-driven development is a plus
* Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental, and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: DATABASE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US