Director Pre-Sales Solution Engineer
Location: Dallas, Texas US
Requisition Number: 211527
We transform how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
Are you passionate about making companies smarter? Teradata provides end-to-end solutions and services in big data, analytics and data warehousing enabling companies to become a data-driven business. We are looking for people who share our vision to join our team of more than 10,000 associates around the globe.
Director Pre-Sales Solution Engineer
The Solution Engineer Director is a senior level technical position that operates as full-time manager with direct management responsibility of Solution Engineers (SE’s). The position leverages the concepts of “Big Data”, data warehousing, analytic technical knowledge and architecture to promote sales of Teradata analytical solutions.
In addition to managing a team of Solution Engineers (SE), the manager will need to optimize these resources across multiple Account Executives and business development opportunities. The SE Manager must have demonstrated successful SE skills across “Big Data”, data warehousing and analytics with expert knowledge of Teradata products, open source and 3rd party products within numerous industries. This role requires all the standard skills that a Senior SE possesses including developing analytical ecosystem architectures along with being responsible for managing and mentoring a team of SE’s to be successful in supporting the sales efforts across the whole breath of analytical ecosystem products and solutions.
Key Management Responsibilities
- Reports to a Technical Sales Leader, typically a Geographic Tech Lead Director that is responsible for a geographic region of user accounts and prospect companies.
- Owns the direct reporting relationship of the SE team providing direction of their time and account activities
- Responsible for monthly 1-on-1 sales management meetings that focus on results, pipeline, and activity that drive consumption of Teradata software and increase revenue.
- Regularly involved in development of account goals, objectives, strategies, and tactics (GOST) and ensuring adherence to the process driving responsibility, accountability and ownership.
- Drives SE resource optimization through collaborative decision making and identification of high impact opportunities.
- Acts as a central point of contact and coordinator for HR/Staffing and other organizations involved in the recruitment, interviewing and on-boarding of new SE candidates
- Supports all SEs on the local team through knowledge transfer, task prioritization, and internal networking as necessary
- Participates and supports executive level meetings with Account Executives and Sales Leaders as necessary
- Directs the SE team based on priorities set by the Sales Leadership team
- Operates as full-time manager with a focus on leading, guiding and leveraging talent
- Responsible for the development and management of formal development plans for SE’s
- Develop and assist with account qualification utilizing knowledge of industry solutions, data models & data volumes for the various types of accounts and applying this knowledge to determine which SE’s to assign to targets
Key Technical Responsibilities
- Understanding, documenting and articulating the customer’s current analytic ecosystem architecture. This includes a complete inventory of the customer’s data warehouses, data lakes and discovery environments as well as their respective business functions.
- Understanding competitive products and service offerings from Oracle, IBM, Netezza, Snowflake, AWS-Redshift, HP Vertica, Cloudera, HDP, Open Source, etc.
- Demonstrating and utilizing knowledge of business problems of customers across multiple industries depending on the local account and prospect rider
- Articulating and positioning Teradata’s solutions to solve business problems, by leveraging the complete portfolio of Teradata products, applications, services and offers.
- Maintaining and growing knowledge in all Teradata solutions through education, training, competitive analysis, etc.
- Being a trusted advisor to the customer’s decision-makers by establishing credibility and expertise in analytical ecosystem architecture, marketing analysis and automation systems, customer profitability solutions, and other areas related to Teradata’s solution offerings.
- Identifying new application opportunities that will lead to additional Teradata products, solutions and professional services being implemented by the customer.
- Working with the Consulting Partner and Centers of Excellence to develop high quality proposals for Consulting engagements.
- Participating in Consulting engagements that position Teradata as a trusted adviser to our customers.
- Contributing Knowledge Assets to the Teradata Knowledge Management System.
8+ years of consulting and client facing experience in positioning, architecting, and sales support for enterprise level technical solutions
- 5+ years of operational or technical RDBMS in data warehouse implementation
- Client interface and consulting skills required, including demonstration of interfacing with SVP and C-level executives
- Experience w/Teradata solutions including Integrated Data Warehouse, Hadoop and Big Data Discovery environments
- Sound knowledge of capabilities provided by contemporary analytical ecosystem architecture components including data warehousing, data modeling, data lakes, analytical discovery environments, BI tools, and analytical tools.
- Proven capabilities in relational database technology in the application development environment (Teradata, DB2, Oracle, Hadoop ) and operational knowledge of third party GUI and data transformation tools (COGNOS, Business Objects, Tableau, Informatica and others)
- Solid understanding of current integrated data warehousing topics including Big Data and Analytics
- Solid understanding of parallel database architectures
- Experience with Hadoop
- Experience with OpenSource Technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Scoop, etc
- The ability to manage, direct and develop people as individuals and as a collective team
- BA or BS in Business or Computer Science
The Solution Engineer Director will work from a virtual (home) office with considerable time required onsite with customer(s). Up to 50%+ travel is expected in the field with team at customers or in a collaborative location (e.g., office) planning, preparing, practicing for customer interactions. A combination of independent work and team collaboration will be required.
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
Community / Marketing Title: Director Pre-Sales Solution Engineer
Job Category: Sales
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Dallas, Texas US