Senior Software Engineer Python
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 211493
Senior Software Engineer, Python
Location: US, Virtual
Teradata Global Support Operations is building capabilities to further drive our company and function’s transformation and improve customer experience. Our vision is to enable continuous delivery of Teradata software updates with minimal downtime, maximum reliability, and high predictability. We are working to
- Automate the planning of complex multi-component upgrades
- Reduce customer effort in preparing for a system change event
- Automate the preparation, delivery, and validation of a system change event
- Increase overall customer satisfaction and confidence in adopting new Teradata features and services.
We are seeking a high-performing lead engineer to accelerate and bolster our team’s capability. The primary responsibility of this candidate is to contribute to the architecture, design, and development of software to automate installs and upgrades of Teradata products. This candidate will lead technical discussions, design and development efforts, and special projects.
We are looking for a candidate who thrives on automation, is a self-starter, and will drive new ways of solving problems. In this role, you will be a leader in creating a culture of change, collaboration, communication, and enabling a technology shift in the organization.
Key Responsibilities / Profile Summary
- Interpret internal and/or external business issues and recommend best practices
- Solve complex problems; take a broad perspective to identify and implement new and innovative solutions
- Lead functional teams or projects to achieve key business objectives
- Collaborate with onshore and offshore teams to coordinate implementation activities
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and lead resolution of software defects
- Provide training and support to software engineering teams during implementation
- Advise, coach, and mentor junior members of the team
- Communicate to all levels above and below to educated and influence decisions, processes, and policies
- Frequently communicate with internal/external customers and vendors, requiring discretion and sensitivity to different audience needs
- Promote Agile (scrum) and Lean-Agile practices
- Provide periodic on-call support
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to work independently, requiring guidance on only the most complex situations or User Experience issues
- Strong experience in distributed system design, data structures, and object-oriented programming
- Hands-on experience in OOP languages such as Python (preferred), Java, C++, or comparable
- Ability to learn and adapt various technologies to solve problems
- Expertise in building/interacting with RESTful services
- Experience in and passion for Test Driven Development (TDD) practices and modern software development best practices
- Experience in using Agile (Scrum) software development lifecycle
- Expertise in software development (ideally using Python and PyTest) on the Linux platform
- Expertise in working with RDBMS and SQL queries
- Experience in using virtual infrastructure (e.g. VMWare, Vagrant, etc.) for development, support, and testing
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Comfortable and flexible in working with globally distributed teams
- BS in Computer Science or another technical discipline, and/or 8 to 10 years of related experience
- Strong understanding of Teradata products
- Expertise in using Git, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, and Ansible
- In-depth knowledge of System Change Management function (SCM), with deep expertise in System Change Automation (SCA)
- Experience in designing domain separated IT process automation workflows orchestrated with ITOM on Linux systems
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Software Engineer Python
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US