Manager, Software Engineering
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 211255
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of Industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share —our united goal of making Teradata and our people, the best we can be.
This position is for a Software Engineer in the SQL-Engine Services team within the Vantage Core - Platform Software organization. The SQLES Team is comprised of multiple scrum level teams working towards the same goal: to provide comprehensive, reliable, and scalable solutions for the Teradata SQL Engine (i.e. Teradata Database) for our supported public cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud). This includes:
- SQLE image creation and validation for our supported public cloud platforms.
- Common/public SQLE Microservice for provisioning and runtime operations related to SQLE.
- In-site SQLE services for cloud runtime operations (e.g. scaling, node failure recovery, configuration).
- On-node SQLE services and tools for cloud runtime operations.
We are looking for a candidate to join our fast paced and cutting-edge development organization that is on the forefront of our “Teradata Everywhere” strategy.
Teradata Labs, the technology research and development (R&D) organization within Teradata Corporation, has been turning innovative decision support technology into business results for over 30 years. Our R&D team of analytic architects, database developers and engineers work to understand and advance emerging technologies to invent the next wave of cutting-edge analytic data solutions.
This position is for a Manager, Software Engineering in the SQL-Engine Services team within the Vantage Core – Platform Software organization. The position involves leading one or more software engineering teams responsible for the development, integration, functional and performance testing, and fault analysis of our public cloud solutions. The manager will be responsible for:
- providing and communicating the engineering vision for your team
- ensuring the timely delivery of committed features
- liaising with other engineering teams, project management, and product management
- mentoring, providing career growth opportunities, satisfying administrative requirements, and maintaining accountability for direct reports
- providing engineering leadership in support escalations as needed
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, empathetic, and creative engineering leader who is ready to participate in an agile team environment and contribute to the success of Teradata. Given our team’s focus on solutions in the cloud, the ideal candidate should also have experience working on projects on AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud. Experience with Teradata Vantage is also preferred.
- Manager of an agile development team responsible for Teradata SQL-Engine Services.
- Collaborates with engineering leadership and project management to set the development priorities of the team.
- Hold direct reports accountable for their individual responsibilities, and be accountable to your reports for their career growth.
- Perform various administrative functions related to the management of direct reports, including time sheet approvals, leave approvals, promotion applications, etc..
- Identify areas for improvement and collaborate with leadership on executing plans for positive change within the organization.
- Proven engineering leadership experience, preferably with direct reports.
- Experience working in fast paced agile scrum development environment.
- Experience with public and/or private cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, VMWare ESXi, etc.
- Experience in RESTful services development.
- Knowledge of security best practices for RESTful services.
- Knowledge of Linux system administration.
- Proficiency with Python.
- Familiarity with C, bash, SQL.
- Knowledge of with DevOps automation tools and libraries.
- Experience with Teradata Vantage a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Minimum Education and Residency Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline with 6+ years of relevant experience.
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Manager, Software Engineering
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US