Senior Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 210933
Teradata SQLE Core Engineering team works with advance database technologies allowing us to build exciting new features that unlock business value for our customers. We are a cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world’s most complex data challenges at scale.
Join the Teradata team as a Senior Software Engineer focused on building cutting-edge software for the NOS product for both cloud and on-prem offerings. This position is in the NOS Connector team within the SQLE Core Engineering organization. As a Senior Software Engineer you will have the opportunity to build new connector features and extend connector capabilities to allow our database enhanced functionality when interfacing to object storage solutions. The NOS Connector provides a consistent object storage interface for the Teradata database on multiple hardware and operating system platforms, including public and private cloud environments.
Your Business Objectives would include:
- Collaborate with cross-functional agile teams that include product owners, and front-end, back-end, and quality engineers to conceptualize, build, test and ship software solutions for the next generation of enterprise applications.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Drive technical direction and design of implementations as well as providing guidance to the overall development organization.
- Perform complex code modification, testing and debugging and be able to solve challenging scalability and integration problems.
- Interact with engineering teams and partners to support environments handling ongoing requirements and providing one-on-one coaching to teams adopting our services.
- Identify and propose areas of improvement to enhance operability throughout the software development process.
- Support customers and partners diagnosing, triaging, and fixing high priority issues.
- Bachelor’s and 5 yrs of experience or, US Masters with 3 yrs of experience, specifically in Database technology, Operating Systems, File system, Data Storage, Distributed/Parallel/High Performance/Fault Tolerant Computer Systems/Software, or related areas
- Coursework should include at a minimum discrete mathematics, software engineering, data structures and algorithms, operating systems, and computer architecture and organization, otherwise working knowledge/experience with subjects mentioned.
- Proven record in completing/delivering features/products in areas mentioned above on an enterprise/system software product as an individual contributor and feature/project/team lead capacity.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and strong teamwork.
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills
- Familiar with Unix(Linux) and Windows computing environment
- Strong C/C++ and Python programming
- Experience with cloud-based development and systems.
- Experience with SQL and database technologies including a thorough understanding of database logical and physical design concepts
- Advanced coursework in database, operating systems, file systems, parallel architecture, high performance fault tolerant systems, data storage systems, i/o systems, or similar technologies/disciplines
- Participated/completed projects, work experience, and research interest in areas mentioned above. Must have real product delivery and success experience.
- Provided technical consultation and counsel to product and development management and technical leadership to project teams on one or more areas above in product development.
- Multi user, multi-tasking server software internals development with emphasis on concurrency and locking protocols
- Relational database application or internals development with working knowledge of SQL
- Working knowledge of Unix (Linux, Solaris, HPUX, AIX,…) and Windows development tools (compiler, system calls, debuggers like gdb, visual studio,…) and environment (i.e. shell commands and scripting, editor, MS Word, Outlook, etc)
- Experienced in developing under GIT, Clearcase or similar source control products
- Effectively debug and work with low level data structures (hex dumps of data structures in memory and on storage devices)
- Familiar with Software Development Life cycle and processes
- Experience using Agile software development methods and tools
- Top-notch programming skills in C, C++, Python, SQL, Scripting
- Experience with Teradata (or other RDMS) and NoSQL technologies.
- Experience with public cloud services such as AWS, Azure, Google.
- Experience with supporting mission critical, 24x7 systems.
This position is for a Software Engineer in the TVS team within the database organization. The position involves development, integration, functional and performance testing, and fault analysis of our cloud solutions. The engineer will be engaged in concept definition, implementation, support for early engagements and typical life cycle management activities.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated and creative software engineer who is ready to participate in an agile team environment and contribute to the success of Teradata. The successful candidate will possess excellent programming skills in C/C++, scripting languages as well as having knowledge of restful APIs. A strong working knowledge of Linux operating system is required. Good oral and written communication skills are also required.
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Consistent with Colorado law, Colorado applicants can email the Ask.HR@teradata.com inbox to receive the compensation range information for this role. Please provide proof of Colorado residency in your request.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata (NYSE: TDC) is the leading multi-cloud data platform company for enterprise analytics, transforming how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
At Teradata, we are leading the data era. As enterprises address today’s digital economy, they are faced with new competition and consumer expectations and are turning to data to power their future. Teradata has worked with the largest companies in the world for 40+ years, bringing our experience and expertise to support global enterprises with their most demanding, mission-critical, complex, and large-scale data needs. Teradata is recognized as a leader in the cloud, data, and analytics spaces by top analyst firms, Gartner and Forrester, and Fortune Magazine as well.
Our connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics, Teradata Vantage™, is an extremely scalable, secure, and resilient offering that simplifies ecosystems by connecting data and making it easier to uncover insights from across the organization…regardless of where that data resides. With Vantage, we enable companies to modernize their data management, from start to scale. Every day, millions of users benefit from our open data platform. Empowering customers and partners to develop and build how they like, we enable hundreds of business outcomes and solutions, including improving customer experience and profitability, driving operational efficiency, realizing financial transformation, or achieving operational efficiency.
As the world of data grows, we are the leader in enabling the future of connected businesses, powered by data intelligence. We are committed to delivering on this vision by following sustainable business practices and with a strong focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that only by embracing diversity of identity, thought, background, expression, and perspective can we solve today’s challenges and reimagine tomorrow’s world.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US