Principal Systems Architect - Network
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 210256
Principal Systems Architect - Network
Teradata is a community of people who believe in the power of data to change the world, and ready to challenge the complexity and inadequacy of conventional approaches in pursuit of better answers to the world's toughest challenges. We are a global data and analytics leader providing data platform solutions for the most prolific and interesting enterprises in every industry. This is your chance to be part of the Teradata Platform Infrastructure Engineering team where you will be primarily engaged in detailed analysis of Teradata networking infrastructure, providing guidance on customer system network configurations and client/server applications.
The ideal candidate will possess strong system-level network architectural and analytical skills and an excellent understanding of methodologies and tools used to monitor and measure network and software performance. This role requires good resource management skills to balance progress on driving multiple projects through the engineering organization. You will have the opportunity to solve real world customer problems, and to gain a detailed understanding of the internals of industrial strength data warehouse and analytics data solutions. To be successful, you should be a self-starter who has the ability to quickly learn new technologies and dig deep into technical issues. If you have a desire to work on the cutting edge of technology, face challenging problems, and work with smart people then this is the position for you.
What you get to do in this role:
Network Solution Architect
Use your deep understanding of network performance and enterprise systems (both in the cloud and on-prem) and distributed architectures to guide Teradata solutions into appropriate network infrastructures that will address customer business requirements
Work together with Engineering teams to update application designs for new architectures and features that will lead to increased end-to-end user performance
Be an advocate for quality application design making recommendations to increase the performance and reliability of the software applications across cloud and on-prem networks
Use your analytical skills to monitor and measure network performance within a highly parallel software application as well as across multiple systems across a wide range of deployment models (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, VMware, and bare metal)
Demonstrate your excellent analytical trouble shooting skills to identify network problems and optimization opportunities, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in order to identify the root cause of an issue and to suggest how to resolve it
Develop and maintain models for analyzing and predicting system behavior based upon changes in configuration and underlying technologies
Be a self-starter with a quick learning curve on different technologies and processes
Work with cross-functional teams, to build consensus on issues, and to drive projects to completion
Be a team player who can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all
Projects will consist of multiple team members and the candidate will be expected to take the lead from a technical perspective and work closely with project manager, team members as well as other supporting groups, like product management, marketing, testing, etc.
- US Permanent Residence
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, VLANs, Spanning Tree, multicast, VRF, QoS, etc
- Working knowledge of sniffer analysis, network optimization appliances, and network monitoring tools/suites such as Solarwinds Orion and Wireshark.
- Practical experience troubleshooting issues related to LAN, WAN, VPN, and Load-balancer infrastructure in a Cloud or environment
- Comfortable with working with and analyzing large amounts of data
- Good communication skills with experience in presenting detailed technical information
- Experience with building out network infrastructure in a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) environment either in the public cloud or in on-prem solutions
- Familiarity with LINUX internals/administration
- Knowledge of the Teradata platform
- Experience with benchmarking and related performance analysis
- Knowledge and experience working with routers/switches/LB/Firewalls on cloud and physical platforms
- Experience working with High Performance Computing (HPC) networking
- Experience with network configuration automation (scripting with Pearl/Python/Bash or DevOps tools like Chef/Puppet/Ansible)
- Experience with test automation (automating unit test cases, Test Driven Development, etc)
- Experience with secure coding practices – knowledge of threat models, and compliance
- Experience with Agile methodologies (Scrum, Lean, Kanban, SAFe, etc)
- Customer support experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 15 years of related work experience.
- Masters or PhD degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 8 years of related work experience.
This position is based in Teradata's research and development main campus in San Diego, CA. Teradata's employees enjoy beautiful facilities including a cafeteria, cafe, and gym on site. If you are interested in working in a fast-paced, innovative environment where you can directly influence the future of cloud-based analytics solutions and services, then Teradata is the place for you.
Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Principal Systems Architect - Network
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US