Senior Staff Software Engineer
Location: El Segundo, California US
Requisition Number: 210067
Software Engineer (V)
Title: Sr Staff Software Engineer
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of Industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share —our united goal of making Teradata and our people, the best we can be.
Teradata Labs is where cutting-edge innovations in data management turn into business value. Our outstanding team of database architects and software engineers work together to understand and advance emerging technologies to produce the next wave of big data analytic solutions. Teradata Database is the core of Teradata Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) systems that run on-premises and in hybrid clouds to manage and optimize sophisticated workloads.
The heart of Teradata Database is its best-in-class query optimization engine. We work on query optimization techniques in database and analytics engines, machine learning algorithms, scalability and elasticity issues, and many other exciting challenges related to performance, usability, accessibility and integration.
The Database Query Optimization group at Teradata Labs has an opening for Sr. Staff Software Engineer. In this role, you are expected to contribute to the design, development, and testing of new enhancements and advanced features for the Teradata Vantage Core Platform.
Responsibilities / Interesting Work You’ll Do
- Responsible for all phases of agile software development life cycle from software design through customer support
- Candidate should have the skills to research and establish technical direction for complex feature development, and perform functional and performance problem analysis. As needed, candidate must be able to perform competitive analysis of competing database management systems and data integration solutions, and provide recommendations on Teradata offering changes to close competitive gaps and enhance competitive advantages
- Design, implement, validate, and test new database and novel query optimization features in an Agile form, and perform functional and performance analysis of code defects and correction of the defects
- Contribute to the delivery and continuous support of robust, resilient, and quality database products
- Lead and establish technical direction for a group of software engineers during feature development
- Help feature manager with technical aspects of features and projects including plan, track and provide status on large projects
Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least ten years of related research or industry, or
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least eight years of related research or industry experience, or
- D. in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least five years of related research or industry experience
- Technical leadership in composing very complex and visionary idea in data management specifically query processing and optimization
Ideally, you will also have the following
- Top-notch programming skills in C++, Java, Python, R, SQL
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, design patterns, and test driver development
- System development experience
- Debugging with complex software in a parallel processing environment
- Passionate, self-motivated, risk taker, pro-active, initiative taker, good communicator (written & verbal), creative, and team-oriented
- Familiarity with various database technologies
- Experience using Agile software development methods and tools
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19.
The work location for the open positions is El Segundo, California (primarily) or Rancho Bernardo in San Diego, California. Travel requirements : 5%.
Benefits You’ll Enjoy
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
*Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: El Segundo
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Staff Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: El Segundo, California US