Automation Delivery Support
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 209660
Position Title: Software Engineer (II)
Automation Delivery Support
Location: San Diego, CA or Tijuana, BC, Mexico
Teradata Global Support Operations is building capabilities to further drive our company and function’s transformation. We are seeking a highly-skilled and technology-focused team member to help evolve the future of the System Change Management organization.
The System Change Management organization is leading the transition of Change Control practices from a series of manual activities to an orchestrated automated process. This is a senior role that will be critical to support this transition. While you will start with the traditional Change Control process definition and field support role, they will also start shaping the delivery support function for System Change Automation and contribute to the codebase on a day-to-day basis. You will work very closely with Change Control delivery teams to ensure proper usage of System Change Automation features, and enable accelerated problem resolution and troubleshooting.
What You'll Do
- Responsible to support Change Control activities for Teradata products and ecosystem:
- Leverage and improve Installation, Upgrade, Migration, and Backdown (IUMB) procedures for Teradata products with a focus on next-generation products (e.g. Vantage) and platforms (on-premise, public cloud, TDVM, and hosted cloud).
- Enable the adoption of strategic features in-field use by reviewing and improving the IUMB process; help capture requirements and use cases, and support UAT and deployments to facilitate IUMB operations in the field.
- Responsible for supporting, promoting, and enabling automation-first mindset in Change Control operations
- Develop domain-specific knowledge of Change Control automation tools and supporting framework to fully understand design and tools usage
- Troubleshoot automation issues and incident with clear identification of root cause and actionable next steps
- Fix and deliver low-impact incidents by following System Change Automation development and maintenance processes
- Accelerate problem analysis and troubleshooting resolution process employed by other product support engineers
- Manage CI/CD pipeline for System Change Automation and ensure high-availability and resiliency of critical support; ensure automation releases are staged and made available for the field on a timely basis
- Engage in high-level functional validation of automation features; support UAT and beta testing efforts as needed
- Identify, implement and improve upon delivery support model
- Create, elaborate on, and defend product enhancement requests that will make IUMB operations automation-friendly while improving operational profile (e.g. reduced downtime, easier and faster troubleshooting, improved lead time, etc.)
- Help create and improve troubleshooting guidelines to assist Change Control delivery specialists in effectively triaging and supporting field issues (i.e. enable delivery teams to provide L2 support)
- Responsible for providing deep level (i.e. L3) technical support on IUMB and other system change-related activities
- Analyze files and system dumps for the root cause.
- Identify and document new product defects.
- Build tools to enable accelerated analysis and problem resolution.
- Provide new and/or known solutions/workarounds to problems.
- Provide recommendations for product improvements.
- Perform system recovery for down or inaccessible systems.
- Collaborate and/or escalate with other workgroups including Engineering and 3rd party product providers.
- Responsible for supporting the Knowledge-Centered Support model via the following activities:
- Create, review, and improve and maintain Technical Alerts and other related technical artifacts.
- Periodically review knowledge content for accuracy, relevancy, and applicability.
- Create defect tracking tickets associated with incidents and root cause analysis.
- Assist with the development of change control procedures (templates) and other process definition artifacts.
- Lead the team to perform regular ongoing product quality and incident analysis to identify root causes and preventive solutions:
- Analyze data to identify trends, baselines, and outliers related to product quality.
- Summarize results and prepare actionable stories for product development improvement.
- Interface with other organizations (internal and external) to connect key stakeholders in resolving customer issues and improving product quality.
- Grow a collaborative network across organizations such as engineering and support
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism with customer and peer interactions
- BS in Computer Science or another technical discipline
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- 7 to 10 years of related experience
- Strong understanding of Teradata products a must
- Experience in Teradata database best practices a must
- Practical knowledge in installation and upgrade processes
- Experience software development (ideally using Python and PyTest) on the Linux platform
- Experience working with RDBMS and SQL queries
- Experience in using virtual infrastructure (e.g. VMWare, Vagrant, etc.) for development, support, and testing
- Experience with Teradata upgrade and support tools
- Experience with Teradata expansion and configuration processes
- Experience in using Jenkins for CI/CD pipeline
- Experience with common configuration management tools such as Ansible/Puppet
- Experience leverage development languages such as python to improve the customer support experience
- Experience in using GitHub, JIRA, and other common development tools
- Closed-Loop/Corrective Action experience
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Automation Delivery Support
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US