Senior Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 209325
Senior Software Engineer
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share - our united goal of making Teradata and our people, the best we can be.
Ecosystem Core Services (ECS) provides common infrastructure for Teradata’s Vantage microservice architecture. We provide authentication, authorization and auditing services for applications deployed on the platform leveraging integration into LDAP, SAML and OpenID Connect platforms. ECS enables a REST based Query Service for the Teradata database, secret management, system registration and notifications. ECS maintains Java and Go microservice frameworks which enable rapid application development for Teradata development teams.
Our services are built in Java and Golang with open-source technology leveraged where it makes sense. We work across the company with our partners from different product teams, security and the database to deliver integrated solutions. We’re building an ecosystem to enable the next generation of data developers innovate as quickly as possible. That includes building new APIs, frameworks and development tools to make that happen.
As the Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for building our next generation of software to solve the big data problems by leveraging open-source tools and frameworks in combination with tried and true best-in-class technologies. You will create a software which will be cloud ready, scalable, distributed and able to handle large volumes of data with low latency and high availability.
You will be responsible for developing the company’s core services using the microservices architecture. These services are leveraged by internal development teams and deployed to customers site as part of the Analytics platform. Our engineers are customer-focused, strong performance analysts and good API designers. These skills help us define the bleeding edge for elegant, and scalable services.
The ideal candidate will have experience with building highly scalable, fault tolerant, elastic and secure services in public cloud environments like AWS, Azure and Google Cloud. You should have a thorough understanding of Internet protocols and experience implementing services using Java/Golang in a Linux/Unix and Docker environment. You should be somebody who enjoys working on and owning software services, is customer-centric, and feels strongly not only about building excellent software systems but also making it scalable, fault-tolerant and highly performant.
Your Business Objectives would include:
- Collaborate with cross-functional agile teams that include product owners, and front-end, back-end, and quality engineers to conceptualize, build, test and ship software solutions for the next generation of enterprise applications.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Drive technical direction and design of implementations as well as providing guidance to the overall development organization.
- Perform complex code modification, testing and debugging and be able to solve challenging scalability and integration problems.
- Interact with engineering teams and partners to support environments handling ongoing requirements and providing one-on-one coaching to teams adopting our services.
- Identify and propose areas of improvement to enhance operability throughout the software development process.
- You must be able to design, develop, document and implement software by leveraging agile and CI/CD methodologies.
- You are comfortable in a team environment that is highly collaborative and places strong emphasis on peer review.
- You are able to engineer applications and web services that can run in the cloud, on premise or in hybrid environments.
- You have a strong passion for developing incredibly simple yet highly functional interfaces.
- You will use Docker containers to develop new features / solutions.
- You are knowledgeable with open-source tools and technologies and can use / extend them wherever appropriate to develop solutions.
- You should be able to mentor new hires and interns.
- You will have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- You are highly motivated, think creatively, and comfortable working in team-based environments.
- Must have 3+ year’s of experience programming in Java and/or Golang.
- Experience with server-side and web-based development.
- Must have public cloud experience: AWS, Azure.
- Experience with containerization technology such as Docker.
- Agile (Scrum, Kanban, Lean) and Test Driven Development.
- RESTful API development.
- Application frameworks – Spring, hibernate.
- Building and/or leveraging distributed systems.
- RDBMS – PostgreSQL, MySQL etc.
- Virtualization software -
- Continuous Integration solutions such as Jenkins, TeamCity, Travis CI or Bamboo.
- Building and leveraging CI/CD pipelines.
- US Master’s degree (in Computer Science or related field) with 3 years of experience or BS degree (in Computer Science or related field) with 5 years of experience.
Location: This position is located in San Diego, CA, and qualifies for remote
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US