Staff Software Engineer
Location: El Segundo, California US
Requisition Number: 209248
Staff Software Engineer
Location can be based in the following Teradata Office: San Diego, CA; El Segundo, CA; or Austin, TX
Teradata is seeking a highly skilled Staff Software Engineer with a strong background in Teradata Advanced SQL Engine and cloud platform architecture with a proven track record for delivering complex and comprehensive performance analysis deliverables, associated with the complete software development life cycle for Teradata products, systems and solutions. Deliverables encompass performance benchmark development pushing performance test assets to CI/CD pipeline. The candidate filling this position is expected to bring thought and technical leadership to the role, including contributions to performance benchmark development incorporating machine learning and data science methodologies like R/Python, and highly complex test plans and specifications, test execution, problem isolation and defect reporting. This position requires significant interaction with data scientists, product management, product engineers, test engineers and test engineering management.
The successful candidate is required to apply expert knowledge in cloud architecture and system fundamentals, as well as test methodologies to develop and execute highly complex system level benchmarks which stress the performance of various facets of the Teradata system and warehouse product suite. The candidate will continually seek innovative solutions for coverage, effectiveness and efficiency improvements. The Performance Test team is chartered with providing performance characterization and certification of the warehouse foundation, including platforms, Teradata Database and Teradata Tools and Utilities. The candidate is also required to examine ever increasing customer applications of the integrated Teradata Vantage Platform for Advanced SQL Engine and develop benchmarks to be added to the group’s performance test asset base.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop and perform highly complex performance benchmarks in support of Teradata development Life Cycle
- Contribute to highly complex, system test specifications and plans
- Perform problem detection, isolation and reporting activities
- Provide accurate and timely reporting of project status to senior management
- Interface and interact with cross-functional teams including data scientists, product management, test engineers, hardware and software engineers and engineering management
- Contribute to new automation and test tool requirements
Primary Location: Teradata Rancho Bernardo location in San Diego
Skills & Attributes:
- Strong hands-on Teradata Database knowledge
- Solid understanding of Operating System fundamentals
- Experience in performance analysis, benchmarking.
- Hands-on experience with AWS/Azure/GC.
- Ability to find root causes of performance bottlenecks.
- Strong knowledge of Jenkins, python/java and SQL.
- Proven ability to leverage industry standard test methodologies.
- Ability to build strong, collaborative relationships with local and remote teams
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with strong ability to communicate complex technical information effectively.
- Results oriented with demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Advanced ability to apply diagnostic tools and test case development to drive the isolation of code and design defects.
- Experience in cloud architectures a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree with 7 years of related work experience in computer science or related discipline or
- Master’s degree with 5 years of related work experience in computer science or related discipline or
- PhD with internships and/or 0 years.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Community / Marketing Title: Staff Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: El Segundo, California US