Senior Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 209051
Position Title: Software Engineer (III)
This position is for a Senior Software Engineer in the Parallel Database Environment (PDE) team within the Vantage Core Platform Software Organization. The PDE team’s focus is on providing a flexible and massively parallelized abstraction layer between the operating system and the Teradata SQL Engine (Relational Database Management System) that provides outstanding performance while running on highly available systems with potentially hundreds of nodes. The PDE team designs and implements features and services for new releases of the SQL Engine, with a particular focus on process scheduling. The team also provides maintenance fixes for supported releases and assists in handling customer escalations as needed.
We are looking for a candidate to join our fast paced and cutting-edge development organization that is on the forefront of our “Teradata Everywhere” strategy.
This position is for a Senior Software Engineer in the PDE team within the Vantage Core – Platform Software organization. PDE provides a consistent interface to operating system services for Teradata on multiple hardware and operating system platforms, including public and private cloud environments. The position involves development, integration, functional and performance testing, and fault analysis of our on-premises and cloud solutions. The engineer will be engaged in concept definition, implementation, support for early engagements, and typical life cycle management activities.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated and creative software engineer who is ready to participate in an agile team environment and contribute to the success of Teradata. The successful candidate will possess excellent programming skills in C/C++ for our kernel level development work, as well as Python for our higher-level administration tools and services. A strong working knowledge of Linux kernel internals is required. They must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven, and deliver high quality results in a fast-paced environment. They need to enjoy working closely with their peers in a group of very talented engineers.
- Member of an agile development team responsible for the Teradata Parallel Database Environment (PDE).
- Develop and support PDE functionality and features related to strategic initiatives.
- Develop and enhance functionality and features to provide greater operating system and platform independence.
- Develop and support functionality and features required to support new operating system versions and features.
- Develop and support PDE functionality and features required to support new database features, particularly those related to scalability, reliability, and performance.
- Provide mentorship and guidance for junior engineers on the team.
- Excellent troubleshooting, listening, and problem-solving skills
- Experience working in fast paced agile scrum development environment.
- Demonstrated experience in C/C++ development.
- Demonstrated experience in Linux OS internals.
- Familiarity with multiple Linux distributions.
- Experience with one or more higher level/scripting languages including Python, Power CLI, Bash, Perl, etc.
- Familiarity with public and/or private cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), VMWare ESXi, etc.
- Familiarity with Git
- Familiarity with Jenkins
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Minimum Education and Residency Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 5+ years of work experience.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline with 3+ years of work experience.
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline with 0+ years of work experience.
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
We’re conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home, while others will remain remote. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19.
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US