Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Database
Location: El Segundo, California US
Requisition Number: 208316
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of Industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share —our united goal of making Teradata and our people, the best we can be.
This position is for a Software Engineer in the cloud database organization. The team’s focus is on providing a flexible and massively parallelized abstraction layer between the operating system and the Teradata SQL Engine (Relational Database Management System) that provides outstanding performance while running on highly available systems with potentially hundreds of nodes. The team designs and implements features and services for new releases of the SQL Engine, with a particular focus on memory management, elasticity, and disk caching.
We are looking for a candidate to join our fast paced and cutting-edge development organization that is on the forefront of our “Teradata Everywhere” strategy.
Teradata Labs, the technology research and development (R&D) organization within Teradata Corporation, has been turning innovative decision support technology into business results for over 30 years. Our R&D team of analytic architects, database developers and engineers work to understand and advance emerging technologies to invent the next wave of cutting-edge analytic data solutions.
• Responsible for designing, implementing, and unit testing new features leveraging agile and continuous delivery methodologies.
• Perform functional and performance analysis of code defects and correction of defects.
• Contribute to all phases of the software development lifecycle by designing and implementing complex features for the product.
• Perform competitive analysis of other database management systems, other data integration solutions, and recommend Teradata cloud database changes to close competitive gaps or to enhance competitive advantages.
• Analyze requirements for complex feature development.
• San Diego or El Segundo
• At this time we would prefer candidates who aren't in need of sponsorship.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar degree, or comparable work experience.
• Understanding of Virtualization and/or cloud computing.
• 10+ years of experience developing software in Ruby, Python, Java, C++ and/or Go.
• 10+ years of experience with relational database and SQL.
• 10+ years of experience with code versioning tools such as Git.
• 10+ years of experience with continuous integration, automated unit testing.
• 10+ years of experience with Web architectures and services (HTTP, REST, sockets, JSON, multi-threading, etc.).
• 10+ years of experience developing distributed web services.
• Experience with application monitoring tools (Datadog, Splunk, New Relic, etc.).
• Familiarity with AWS or other public clouds and have built apps leveraging its offerings (S3, SNS/SQS, DynamoDB, EC2, Kinesis, Cloud Formations, etc.).
• Experience with Docker.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Database
Job Category: Engineering
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: El Segundo, California US