Senior Competitive Benchmarking Specialist
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 208029
Position Title: Performance Engineer (IV)
The Teradata Competitive Attack Force is looking for a few new resources. In this role, you will be engaged in the performance analysis for and oversight of performance test design and execution on various competing analytical cloud platforms. Performing analysis, understanding resource utilization/consumption, as well as issues related platform architecture, configuration, sizing and much more will be critical to the role. The ideal candidate will possess strong system-level analytical skills and an excellent understanding of methodologies and tools used to monitor and identify system performance issues and behavior. This role requires good resource management skills to balance progress on multiple projects. To be successful, you should be a self-motivator who can quickly understand new environments, learn new technologies, and dig deep into technical issues. You will take accountability and own issues end-to-end. If you have a desire to work on the cutting edge of technology and face challenging problems, then this position is for you. It offers an excellent way to apply and grow capabilities, create and nurture relationships, and contribute to Teradata’s Success.
What We Do
Teradata delivers business outcome led through technology-enabled solutions in the areas that matter most – from operational excellence and asset optimization, to customer experience and product innovation, to finance transformation and risk mitigation. We work with leading businesses in over 60 countries worldwide. Our clients include many of the top performers and best-known brands in telecom, transportation, consumer packaged goods, financial services and manufacturing. We focus on turning the most complex and challenging data sets into high-value assets that produce high-impact insights and tangible value for the business. We empower companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes. Our focus on business solutions for analytics, coupled with our industry leading technology and architecture expertise, can unleash the potential of great companies.
What You’ll Do:
Senior Competitive Benchmarking Specialists are key members of an expert team focused on implementing, executing, and assessing competitive functionality and performance for both internal and external audiences. The team will support each other and work together to solve complex problems and build processes and tools. The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of the Teradata database and its associated tools and platforms along with the ability to clearly articulate decisions and findings. The Senior Competitive Benchmarking Specialist will be able to assess all aspects of optimizing performance (i.e. data, schema, query, and workload design and optimization, workload management, system configuration and capacity, etc.) and be able to make design and implementation recommendations. The Senior Competitive Benchmarking Specialists will also supervise and mentor internal and external resources to extend core team capabilities.
- Take full ownership of Test Design, Development, Execution of competitive benchmarks.
- Analyse multi-vendor performance, document and disseminate the results and lessons learned to internal stakeholders (i.e. Product Development, Product Management, various leadership teams, the field)
- Provide input to Product Management on product and performance issues seen in field and make recommendations for product improvements.
- Drive discussions with team members, Product Development and Product Management on performance and usability issues.
- Work with Teradata Product Management and the field on problem identification and resolution.
- Be recognized as a technical authority amongst peers and co-workers.
- Provide new and existing feature assessments and advise on how performance will be impacted.
- Understand the key details of Teradata’s core database technology and systems architecture and be able to critically evaluate and compare competitive offerings;
- Actively engage in design, implementation, and analysis of DBQL, Res Usage, query plans, statistics and workload definitions.
- Analyze workloads and provide input to existing and new test designs.
- Provide thought leadership around tools, automation, and process improvement.
- Have a background in technology consulting and/or project management;
- Have 10+ years hands-on experience in the design, development or support of data warehouse solutions, gained in a pre- or post-sales environment at a leading technology vendor or end-user computing organization;
- Solid personal management skills to efficiently prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Demonstrate a fair understanding of the core technology and architecture of at least one of Teradata’s leading database competitors;
- Possess good analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Be a clear, confident and persuasive communicator with excellent presentation skills and with the ability to structure a coherent, logical argument and the confidence to defend assumptions, projections and recommendations;
- Demonstrate a reasonable understanding of the business application of technology in at least one major industry vertical;
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, people- and project-management skills;
- Teradata Certified Master;
- Experience working in a mission critical environment, 24/7;
Specific Skills You’ll Need for this Role:
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing for Teradata performance, i.e. data characteristics and scaling, database design, workload design and shaping, workload management, query optimization and tuning, system configuration and optimization, etc.
- Deep knowledge of DDL and SQL, i.e. ability to design and implement schemas and queries as well as implement non-Teradata schemas and queries into a performant Teradata environment.
- Deep knowledge of Teradata database architecture and Teradata-specific database concepts.
- Deep knowledge of performance test design and execution.
- Working knowledge with performance analysis tools such as: DBQL, TASM, Resusage, PDCR, etc.
- Working knowledge of Teradata's System Management applications (Viewpoint, Teradata Active System Management).
- Working knowledge of at least one cloud environment (i.e. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform).
- Familiarity with PMCOD/WMCOD/CPUCOD, tdsched, Tcore, CDS.
- Familiarity with NOS, compression, fallback, performance characterization, sizing, storage, vconfig and cliques.
- Knowledge and experience with scripting/programming languages.
- Ability to come up to speed with multiple analytical cloud platforms (i.e. Redshift, Snowflake, Azure Synapse, Google Big Query, etc.)
Benefits You’ll Enjoy
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Competitive Benchmarking Specialist
Job Category: Marketing
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US