Platform Hardware / Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 207948
Position Title: Hardware Engineer (II)
Teradata is looking for Software/Hardware Engineers with strong educational background in Computer or Electrical Engineering. As a member in a tight knit engineering group, you will be working with the latest server and software technologies to enable the development and support of optimized platforms for Teradata platform products.
Development will involve many areas of the system such as:
- Validation, and certification of Platform design
- CPU, memory, storage subsystem, server chassis evaluation
- RAS feature evaluation/verification
- Release to manufacturing and level 4 engineering support
Key Areas of Responsibility:
The work is challenging with a very broad scope. Good communication skills are required to interact with other engineering groups, field support, manufacturing, and vendors.
In general, the position involves the following tasks:
- Integrate and evaluate new and sometimes pre-released hardware and software components.
- Work closely with our vendor/partners to ensure server design meets needs of our products and customers.
- Work with vendors to troubleshoot and diagnose HW, FW, and systems problems (RCA/CLCA).
- Develop tools and procedures to enable efficient deployment and management of servers.
- Develop process improvements and automation to improve efficiency in verification of changes and problem reproduction.
- Provide server support (HW/FW/SW) for internal product development teams and level 4 engineering support for Customer Services teams to resolve customer issues in a timely manner.
- Participate in an after-hours support rotation to be on call for infrequent, high-priority customer issues.
- Failure analysis and developing corrective action plans on failed hardware.
This position is in San Diego, CA. This high-tech environment is perfect for individuals seeking to work with the latest server, CPU, memory, storage, networking technology, and world-class Analytical products.
Only minimal travel expected.
Skills & Attributes
The ideal candidate will possess good written and oral communication skills, cross-group collaboration skills, and will have the ability to:
- Create technical reports to communicate vital information to the rest of the organization.
- Consolidate or Expand reports to communicate effectively to the appropriate audience (Executives, customers, team members)
- Integrate new hardware and software products into an enterprise class Linux-based platform.
- Work well in a collaborative team environment.
- Apply broad understanding of technology and systems while investigating and solving complex problems.
- Understand trends in computer architecture and contribute to product roadmap discussions.
- Work in an Agile development environment.
- BS degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Knowledge of server hardware including CPUs, memory, storage, networking, and BIOS/firmware.
- Familiarity with Linux operating system fundamentals.
- Experience with problem solving techniques.
- Ability to clearly communicate while providing technical support, executive reports, and team updates.
- Broad understanding of architectural aspects of servers/computers, i.e. CPU, System Memory, PCIe, BIOS, Baseboard management, power delivery and thermal management.
- Experience in script programming for automation and tool development (Python, Shell, Ansible, Jenkins).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and adhere to strict time schedules.
- We are not currently offering sponsorship for this role; US citizenship or permanent residency required.
- All the minimum qualifications plus the following:
- Knowledge of Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) computing architectures and distributed system applications.
- Knowledge of high-speed networking and high-performance storage including networking protocols.
- Knowledge of Remote Management and hardware control systems for Enterprise Servers (BMC, RMS)
- Object oriented programming experience.
- Familiar with Secure coding practices and threat models.
- CI/CD, Monitoring, Provisioning and Deployment, On-Call (Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, CFT, ARM Templates, Terraform).
- Familiar with Agile environment including Scrum, XP, Lean, SAFe.
- Knowledge of Cloud Compute basics including the ability to deploy and manage compute resources.
- 3+ years of job experience in server engineering or related field.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Platform Hardware / Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US