Staff Test Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 207883
Position Title: Test Engineer (IV)
Teradata, the world’s largest company solely focused on enterprise data warehousing and analytic solutions, provides powerful solutions for companies of all sizes. Through innovation, consulting services, technology, and industry-specific applications, our customers are outpacing their competition with enterprise agility.
To find out more about exciting career opportunities at Teradata, visit www.teradata.com/careers.
Position Title: Staff Test Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Location: San Diego, CA/El Segundo, CA
Teradata is at the forefront of many exciting new technologies in the industry: Big Data, Parallel Databases, Structured/Semi-Structured and Unstructured Data, Schema and Schema-Less, Hadoop, and Advanced Analytics. Teradata helps the largest companies in the world, with their biggest and hardest data management problems.
This position intersects all of the above technologies to help extend Teradata’s traditional data warehouse lead by integrating the best data sources and analytic engines available into a common Unified Data Architecture where the data lives and moves seamlessly through the environment for analytics. Be at the forefront of this evolution that will change the industry by incorporating best of breed tools and approaches into a single data and analytic ecosystem.
This Test Engineering position is responsible for all forms of testing for the Teradata Database software. This role includes functional, platform, product, and integration testing. The ideal candidate will have software test skills including the ability to perform requirements analysis, write test specifications, develop test tools, execute test cases, analyze problems, and work with development to provide solutions. To be successful, the candidate shall be skilled in analytical thinking, attention to detail, problem solving, strong debugging, and multi-tasking. They should have the ability to work in a fast pace, team oriented environment, demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills, and collaborate with engineers, architects, and fellow testers.
- Teradata Database test design, development, and execution
- Test and certify the Teradata Database Product on multiple platforms
- Integration testing of the Teradata Database with various cloud environments (AWS, Azure GCP & TDVM)
- Test Automation development
- Complex Query development
Skills & Attributes
The emphasis of this Test Engineering position is Cloud, Teradata Database, and Test Automation. In particular, the position requires knowledge of:
- Thorough understanding of relational database logical and physical design concepts
- Good understanding of database server and client communication mechanisms
- Working knowledge of parallel processing and inter-process communication
- Strong working knowledge of public cloud-based platforms (AWS/Azure/GCP).
- Strong analytical abilities involving complex software in a distributed integrated environment
- Feature analysis, test design, and execution for both database features and integrated environments
- Test tool development, programing, shell scripting, and automated test execution
- Ability to analyze test results, identify issues, and clearly write technical reports that accurately describe the defect, root causes, and potential solutions.
- Create and maintain reports to escalate problems to development engineering
- Communicate effectively, both written and oral, with development and other engineers
- Regularly report progress on problem resolution, and status against objectives on periodic basis
- Use existing tools including Clearcase, Github, Jira, Wiki, Artifactory & Jenkins
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Mentor other analysts by sharing knowledge and skills that make the team more productive
- knowledge of software engineering practices and metrics
- US Permanent Residence
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- 4-8 years of relevant work experience in a computer related technology
- Strong SQL development experience
- Strong working knowledge of Public Cloud environments
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix kernel interfaces
- Working knowledge of network protocols and operation
- Teradata database experience
- Database administration experience
- Experience testing data analytics
- Experience with or knowledge of the design and construction of database engine software
- Experience with parallel processing, messaging, & synchronization
This position is located in Rancho Bernardo, CA (San Diego) or El Segundo, CA. This fast-paced high tech environment is perfect for individuals seeking to exercise innovation and out of the box thinking to move our state of the art technology to the next level.
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage. Teradata is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Staff Test Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US