Principle Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 207535
Position Title: Software Engineer (VI)
Principle Software Engineer: Database Optimizer Software
Loction: San Diego, CA
Scope & Level of the position:
Teradata is seeking a Principle Software Engineer: Database Optimizer Architect to
- Architect, design and drive the implementation of query optimization features for Teradata database software.
- Bring out-of-the box ideas to improve query performance that fit into the share nothing architecture.
- Review the architecture and design of the optimizer features and other features that interact with query optimizer.
- Research on advanced technologies, such as Machine learning techniques, and inject them into the Teradata Optimizer to further improve the optimizer’s capability to handle complex query.
- Provide consultation and technical guidance within and outside of the team.
- Provide support for critical customer issues and provide consultation and review for sustaining DR fixes.
- Provide support and consultation for benchmark issues and questions.
- Train and guide the optimizer team on the current infrastructure and upcoming enhancements.
- Contribute to overall product roadmap discussion and actively participate in Concept and Roadmap Discussions.
- Evaluate New Technologies, tools and techniques for query optimizer applicability.
- Contribute to Query Optimizer overall Quality improvement.
- Should be capable to handle role of Product Owner and engage stake holders and guide Agile Team to go in right direction.
- Need to be Owner for multiple Product Roadmaps.
Specific technology, tools ,equipment, techniques & applications to be utilized:
The required skills for this position include:
- Strong knowledge of Query Optimization techniques.
- Experience of working on database internals of Complex database products.
- strong working knowledge of C++ and C programming language and Linux kernel interfaces (several years of experience or equivalent academic studies required)
- working knowledge of both Windows and UNIX operating systems is required
- thorough understanding of relational databases
- written and oral communication proficiency
- Knowledge of Agile Development is plus.
- ability to work effectively in a team environment
- strong analytical abilities involving complex software in a parallel processing environment
- ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- knowledge of software engineering practices and metrics
Master’s Degree Computer Science, or related field, or foreign equivalent, followed by ten years of progressive experience programming with C/C++ programming languages, working with UNIX and Linux operating systems, working with the design and construction of relational database engine software, and working with complex software in parallel processing environment.
Bachelor’s Degree Computer Science, or related field, or foreign equivalent, followed by ten years of progressive experience programming with C/C++ programming languages, working with UNIX and Linux operating systems, working with the design and construction of relational database engine software, and working with complex software in parallel processing environment.
Number of Years of Experience Required:
10+ years of experience
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Principle Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US