Principal Architect, Database Optimizer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 207382
Position Title: Engineering Fellow (I)
Teradata is a market leading hybrid cloud analytics provider. Our Cloud Database team has a dedicated focus on extending core technology and interfaces to be fully cloud native to better enable ease of use, elasticity, and enhanced ecosystem integration. Engineers who join our team will work on fundamental re-design and innovation in core database technology to enable the strongest cloud capabilities.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Technology and Architecture
- Architect, design and drive the implementation of query optimization features for Teradata database software.
- Bring out-of-the-box ideas to improve query performance that fits into the share-nothing architecture.
- Review the architecture and design of the optimizer features and other features that interact with query optimizer.
- Research on advanced technologies, such as Machine learning techniques, and inject them into the Teradata Optimizer to further improve the optimizer’s capability to handle complex query.
Strategy and Planning
- Enable cross-functional collaboration across the enterprise to drive programs from infancy ensuring that the features align with PM (Product Management) and TIO (Technology Innovation Office) goals.
- Empower members at all levels of the organization by clearly communicating the “why, what, and how” their contributions fit into the larger picture.
Operational /Customer Management
- Effectively communicate the “what and the why” for priorities decisions while providing perspective and guidance across all levels within the organization.
- Appropriately organize and present pertinent information (status, options, decisions) required by management to make effective decisions.
- Deliver innovative solutions that meet existing and future market/business needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, sustainability, security and timelines of our enterprise customer base.
- Work closely with Database Front Line and Customer Support team to provide technical guidance to minimize customer turn around time
Key Experience and Qualifications:
Technical / Professional Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline.
- Minimum 10 years in software development engineering contributing towards all aspects of the software development lifecycle.
- Minimum of 10 years experience developing and working on Query Optimization.
- Experience of working on database internals of Complex database products.
- strong working knowledge of C++ and C programming language and Linux kernel interfaces (several years of experience or equivalent academic studies required)
- working knowledge of both Windows and UNIX operating systems is required
- Thorough understanding of relational databases
- Proven track record of working in an SDLC /agile product development.
- Proven track record of responsibility for managing technical development or operations teams that are geographically dispersed.
- At this time we would prefer candidates who aren't in need of sponsorship.
Leadership, Management and Relationship Building Skills
- Strong analytical acumen, communication and presentation skills necessary for relationship building with teams to deliver timely collaborative solutions.
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills – a servant leader who collaboratively influences across a complex project.
- Ability to explain complex technical issues in a way that non-technical people may understand.
- Superior organizational skills and an affinity for detail.
- Position available in either our San Diego or El Segundo locations.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Principal Architect, Database Optimizer
Job Category: Engineering
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US