Director, Critical Support Office
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 206680
Position Title: Director Critical Incident Response
Teradata Global Support Organization is expanding and building capabilities to further drive our company and function’s transformation. We are seeking a highly-skilled and technology-focused leader to drive the evolution of the Critical Customer Technical Response Team.
The primary responsibility of this candidate is to lead a team of Technical Incident Managers, Problem Managers, and work closely with field Incident Communication Manager (Service Experience Managers and Support Service Managers) dedicated to the process definition and delivery of real-time SWARMs and subsequent post-mortem review (PMR) in an effort to transform the capability of the organization and improve the customer experience. The team will support global customers across 3 regions for both OnPrem and Cloud-based deployments.
This position will be located in San Diego. This is a fast-paced high tech environment and may require extended hours and after-hours follow up given the nature of the changes occurring 7x24.
Key Responsibilities of the team:
- Company owner for the SWARM critical support model evolution and improvement
- Foster a growth mindset and learning approach for direct and indirect team members
- Develop top talent to create succession plans to rotate high-impact, top talent into this group with other functions and organizations across the company including product development, architects (product and field solution architects)
- Engage with senior leaders in product development and technology architects to drive future designs and architectures with learnings from critical customer incidents
- Shift company technology and as-a-Service investments-and-mindset to “availability as a feature”
- Engage in SWARM activities as required to support deep technical and problem resolution skills to support the Technical Incident Managers in your group including mentoring.
- Enforce regular and systemic process control mechanisms to improve SWARM
- Key success factors and principal metrics include Mean-time-to-restore-service (MTTRS) and avoid recurrences.
- Generate lower level KPI metrics to improve principal metrics.
- Influence and interface with technology groups, development teams, and stakeholders to improve the process and ultimately influence availability prioritization across key backlogs to drive avoidance of recurrences and improved diagnosability/isolation to have the fastest time to restore services across OnPrem and Cloud deployments.
Key Functions of the Director, Critical Response Team:
- Own management/resolution of All Severity 1 (A and B) Incidents
- Manage the critical customer care for all Teradata customers including critical customer sites
- Identify customer sites that are in critical status (Blue, Yellow, Red)
- Manage technical resolution actions and design process to enable internal and external customer-facing communications to return sites to normal operating status
- Support the local account team in communicating status and progress to customers (as required) affected by Severity 1 incidents
- Drive the Post Mortem Actions and/or Closed Loop Corrective Actions processes following all Severity 1 incidents
- Oversee alignment with incident communication roles customer communication guideline process
- Report weekly to Teradata executives on the status and progress of all critical sites
- Manage all BASE level service escalations with the automated self-service model (these sites have no Support Service Manager assigned)
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated strategic and tactical leadership to guide thinking, quantitative and analytical skills, while under pressure;
- Coach technical incident managers and problem managers within the group
- Knowledge of Teradata technologies, architecture, and ecosystem.
- Knowledge and exposure with distributed systems across hyper-scale, cloud-based environments
- Working knowledge of physical IT infrastructures such as Enterprise Server Platforms and related IT architectures and equipment
- Solid understanding of large scale networking, including OSI Model, DNS, WINS, TCP/IP, VLANs, DHCP, Routing, ACLs, switching protocols, etc.
- Understanding and knowledge of physical data centers and their related infrastructure or resources such as power, rack space, CE Infrastructures (e.g. UPS, Generators, AHU), etc.
- Flexibility and willingness to support a 24x7 global operation via off-hours support, on-call availability, or other as needed per rhythm and needs of the business
- Working knowledge of ITIL incident, problem, and change management components
- Excellent problem resolution, judgment, negotiation, and decision-making skills
- Practical experience with incident/outage and crisis management
- Ability to balance competing demands for resources and adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; with special focus on customer/client level interaction
- Operations experience in a 24x7x365 support model (NOC experience beneficial)
- BS in Computer Science, Math or equivalent education or experience with database development and applications, data warehousing operations, and analytical software applications or ecosystems.
- Advanced Technical degree
- Previous experience leading architects, technical lead roles, managing other managers
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Director, Critical Support Office
Job Category: Customer Support
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US