Senior Technical Product Manager, Vantage on VMware
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 206445
Position Title: Product Manager (IV)
Teradata empowers companies to achieve high-impact business outcomes through analytics. With a powerful combination of Industry expertise and leading hybrid cloud technologies for data warehousing and big data analytics, Teradata unleashes the potential of great companies. Partnering with top companies around the world, Teradata helps improve customer experience, mitigate risk, drive product innovation, achieve operational excellence, transform finance, and optimize assets. Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
The Teradata culture isn’t just about one kind of person. So many individuals make up who we are, making us that much more unique. It’s what sets apart the dynamic, diverse and collaborative environment that is Teradata. But even as individuals, there’s one thing that we all share —our united goal of making Teradata and our people, the best we can be.
Private Cloud Infrastructure team is responsible for charting and executing on-premises and hybrid cloud platform offerings from Teradata. We have a wide range of responsibilities and a mandate to collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders to achieve our goals. Our organization objective is to build delightful experience for our customers to be able to deploy, monitor, manage Teradata application stack without compromising on the performance, price, price or availability. Overall, Teradata is recognized by media and industry analysts as a future-focused company for its technological excellence, sustainability, ethics, and business value.
Today our technologies offer industry-leading functions enabling business to enjoy an “always on” pattern for key analytical systems. However, what’s next for the industry? We believe that Teradata is poised to define the ultimate “always on” end state for the data answering industry at large and are looking for talent to help define that state, logically plan and execute with the team to achieve the goal.
As a Principal Technical Product Manager, in the Private Cloud Infrastructure team, you will be responsible for defining, planning and executing Teradata’s solutions for an always on infrastructure, specifically built on top of VMware virtualization stack. You will drive product development, expanding solution capabilities by understanding first hand customer insights and translating business needs to engineering for development. You should be eager to work with our customers, with an engineering mindset, to provide Sales and Marketing the products they need to meet Teradata’s goals. We need you, as the candidate, to understand complex technical market needs and then translate these needs for consumption by a variety of teams using an Agile framework.
This Principal position is for a well-rounded candidate with relevant experience in technical software product ownership/management (or equivalent experience), agile development, accompanied by deployment and business proficiencies including competitive analysis, pricing, and licensing.
- Define and refine product and solution vision and manage the product backlog accordingly
- Validate the vision with internal stakeholder and external end user customers
- Declare and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) to help define/refine product vision and prepare for execution
- Develop user centered requirements to realize an end-to-end offering and solution
- Develop market opportunity analysis, contribute to market POV, and monitor market trends to identify growth opportunities
- Ultimately deliver on an innovative offering and solution drawn from user requirements, market validation, and measured by KPIs
- Basic understanding of security
- Generally, ensure product ownership/management activities meet industry-leading standards, processes and controls for product release activities across solution suites
- Understands User Stories, Definition of Done and Acceptance Criteria and Tests
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and negotiate complex concepts to management, team members as well as non-technical audiences
- Exceptional ability to impact and influence business results where cross group collaboration is required using strong facilitation and consensus building skills
- Excellent written, verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
Involves a limited amount of travel (<20%)
- BA/BS in a relevant field
- 5 to 7+ years of Product Owner/Management (or equivalent) experience in a software technology business
- Deep understanding of VMware technologies, Kubernetes, and enabling hybrid cloud (on-premises and public cloud) deployments
- Good understanding of public, private and hybrid cloud infrastructures and when to apply them
- Knowledge of customer system and data availability requirements, including measurement methodologies (RPO/RTO) and Uptime SLAs/SLOs, architectural approaches, etc.
- A proven customer centric viewpoint, with associated hands on experiences, fully aware of the competitive and industry trends
- Ability to create and own the product vision and manage the product backlog from a user centered perspective
- Experience building infrastructure and platform for enterprise applications, data warehouse is highly desirable
- Knowledge of collaborating with partner ecosystem for application and infrastructure observability is a strong plus
- Practical experiences in relational database and data warehousing stacks Teradata, Oracle, HANA, Hadoop/NO-SQL repositories, and operational knowledge of visualization (like Qlik, Tableau, Cognos) and data transformation tools (like Pentaho, Informatica)
- Hands on experience with public cloud technology, and a good market understanding
- Ability to analyze competitors, customer segmentation and estimate market potential of feature and product
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and ability to navigate a complex and unstructured cross-functional environment
- Track record of taking a product from conception & definition phase through engineering design and taking it to market
Benefits You’ll Enjoy
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
This position is located in San Diego, CA (specifically Rancho Bernardo) a state-of-the-art facility conducive to a creative and teaming atmosphere. This fast-paced high-tech environment is perfect for individuals seeking to exercise creativity and move our state-of-the-art technologies and product strategies forward.
Tips for resource identification:
Looking for someone who has worked at VMware for at least 2 – 3 years
Looking for someone who has worked with Netapp (product called FlexPod), Dell & EMC (vBlock and VXrack ) , VCE ( vBlock ) and Cisco (Flexpod, vBlock ) with VMware experience.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Technical Product Manager, Vantage on VMware
Job Category: Product Management
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US