Platform Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 206179
Position Title: Software Engineer (V)
Teradata is looking for Hardware Engineers with strong educational background in Electrical Engineering with solid Computer Engineering fundamentals. As a member in a tight knit engineering group, you will be working with the latest server and software technologies to enable the development and support of optimized platforms for Teradata platform products.
Development will involve many areas of the system such as:
- Server design, validation, and certification
- CPU, memory, and disk subsystem evaluation
- RAS feature evaluation/verification
- Release to manufacturing and level 4 engineering support
Key Areas of Responsibility:
The work is challenging with a very broad scope. Good communication skills are required to interact with other engineering groups, field support, manufacturing, and external vendors.
In general, the position involves the following tasks:
- Integrate and evaluate new and sometimes pre-released hardware and software components.
- Develop process improvements and automation to improve efficiency in verification of changes and problem reproduction.
- Support/investigate system issues reported by test teams and customers.
- Provide server support for internal product development teams.
- Provide level 4 engineering support to Customer Services teams to resolve customer issues in a timely manner.
- Participate in an after-hours support rotation to be on call for infrequent, high-priority customer issues.
This position is in San Diego, CA. This high-tech environment is perfect for individuals seeking to work with the latest server, CPU, memory, storage, networking technology, and world-class Big Data products.
Only minimal travel expected.
Skills & Attributes:
The ideal candidate will possess good written and oral communication skills, cross-group collaboration skills, and will have the ability to:
- Integrate new hardware and software products into an enterprise class Linux-based platform.
- Work well in a collaborative team environment.
- Think broadly while solving complex problems.
- Understand trends in computer architecture and contribute to product roadmap discussions.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science and 7+ years of work experience in server development or related field.
- Knowledge of server hardware including CPUs, memory, storage, networking, and BIOS/firmware.
- Familiarity with Linux operating system fundamentals.
- Knowledge in problem solving techniques and customer technical support.
- Familiarity with server design issues including power distribution, temperature, and environmental compliance requirements.
- Experience in script programming to automate verification and test environments (Perl, Python, Shell, Ansible, Jenkins)
- Knowledge in electrical design, i.e. schematics, layout, electrical analysis, signal integrity, EMI/EMC compliance preferred.
- Knowledge of MPP computing.
- Knowledge of high-speed networking and fabric-attached storage is preferred.
- Existing knowledge of GPUs, machine learning, and Big Data Analytics technologies.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Platform Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US