Technical Incident Manager
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 204987
Position Title: Critical Incident Response Manager V
Location: San Diego, CA Preferred, Remote-US Possible
Work Eligibility: Either US Citizen or Green Card required
Teradata's Global Support Organization is expanding and building capabilities to further drive our company and function’s transformation. If you are highly-skilled, technology-focused, and can help drive the evolution of Teradata’s critical incident response, this is your next move.
As Technical Incident Manager (TIM), you are responsible for major incident management. In this role, you will be the key decision maker to direct the problem resolution path towards the fastest restoration to service possible. As Technical Incident Manager, you are responsible for managing the restoration of an impacted Teradata service affected by real or potential interruptions which may have an impact upon the quality or availability of that service.
When a major incident occurs, the proper technical resources are activated, and you will technically lead major incident calls, determine the scope of client impact, agree on resolution actions with everyone involved, and manage the communication channels with a focus on return-to-service. This will include managing technical sub-channels with corresponding tech leads who will then take point and isolate issues contributing to return-to-service. You will partner with Incident Communication Managers (ICM) and Problem Managers who are responsible for internal and external communication, leaving you focused on the return to service. As a team, Technical Incident Managers are responsible for the quality and integrity of the Major Incident Management process and act as an interface to other process managers.
Ideally, you're located in San Diego, CA, but we will consider Virtual-US locations for the right candidate with prior Teradata product knowledge.
Expectations of the Technical Incident Manager:
- Communicate and advocate effectively with all levels, in all geographies, across the entire company
- Assume leadership responsibility during a Severity 1 and direct the SWARM team as they work towards service restoration
- Lead Severity 1 calls, determine SMEs needed, identify problem and release/deescalate after diagnosis
- Ensure incident management processes is efficient and automated for triggers, data collections, diagnostics, streamline artifact into incident including timelines and decision trees
- Ensure SWARM team meets resolution specifications as designed in the SLA while also enabling reduction of mean time to resolution
- Participate in with problem managers as required to evolve monitoring/logging systems and appropriate development teams
- Identify failure points driving availability and accelerating mean-time-to-repair including architectures, design, process improvements, software disciplines, test, etc…
- Interact frequently with various stakeholders across the organization to prioritize backlog for availability as required
- Build strong internal and external relationships with technical teams, customers and third parties
- Serve as a key contributor to post-mortem reviews as an SME
- Customer Advocate - focus on what is deemed to be the best outcome for the customer
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated strategic and tactical thinking, quantitative and analytical skills under pressure
- Knowledge and exposure of distributed systems across hyper-scale cloud-based environments
- Working knowledge of physical IT infrastructures such as Enterprise Server Platforms and related IT architectures and equipment
- Solid understanding of large scale networking, including OSI Model, DNS, WINS, TCP/IP, VLANs, DHCP, Routing, ACLs, switching protocols, etc.
- Understanding and knowledge of physical datacenters and their related infrastructure or resources such as power, rack space, CE Infrastructures (e.g. UPS, Generators, AHU), etc.
- Flexibility and willingness to support a 24x7 global operation via off-hours support, on-call availability, or other as needed per rhythm and needs of the business
- Working knowledge of ITIL incident, problem, and change management components
- Excellent problem resolution, judgment, negotiation, and decision-making skills
- Practical experience with incident/outage and crisis management
- Ability to balance competing demands for resources and adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; with special focus on customer/client level interaction
- Operations experience in a 24x7x365 support model (NOC experience beneficial)
Preferred Skills & Experience
- BS in Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent education
- Experience with database development and applications, data warehousing operations, and analytical software applications or ecosystems
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Incident Manager
Job Category: Customer Support
We’re conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home, while others will remain remote. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19.
Teradata helps businesses unlock value by turning data into their greatest asset. We’re the cloud data analytics platform company, built for a hybrid multi-cloud reality, solving the world's most complex data challenges at scale. Collectively, we endeavor to serve equal parts innovator and contributor. Because our mission isn’t just about the collection of data – it’s about revolutionizing the future of transportation to save lives, optimizing energy costs to make the planet a cleaner place, and using data to predict and identify cancer risks.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US