Senior Manager Product Support
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 204259
Position Title: Sr Manager Product Support Engineering
The Senior Manager of the Platform OS and PDE team will be the business owner for all Platform OS, PDE and TVS incidents/issues, leading a group of Product Support Engineers responsible for providing 24/7 technical support to resolve customer incidents/issues. The candidate is responsible for setting schedules, objectives, identifying and documenting new process, policies, procedures and plans for the success of the team and will have primary accountability for the end results of the team.
The Manager and the team are responsible for addressing and solving unique and complex problems that could, potentially, have a broad impact on Teradata’s entire install base. As such, a high degree of analytical skills and ability to multitask are required to solve the multitude of concurrent complex problems requiring a solution. Many of the issues being addressed could have an impact beyond their own team, these issues impact related product support teams and associated engineering teams. Must work closely with other GSO product support teams, Teradata Product Development teams, Field personnel, and our customers.
The individual will need to have an In-depth understanding of concepts and principles in a multitude of disciplines. Must have the ability to clearly articulate support decisions and findings. They will manage high-profile customer issues while partnering with GSO teams, CSO (when appropriate) and Product Development as necessary to provide leadership in addressing critical issues. This effort involves coordinating communications and developing strategic approaches to lead internal technical teams and the customer to a successful resolution. They will need to develop action plans for end-to-end resolution of issues in the field/customer install base.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Full end-to-end ownership of customer incidents
- Responsible for team providing (7x24x365) support for OS, PDE, and TVS
- Ensure initiatives, mission, goals, and values are set and clear to each team member
- Understanding of Platform and SW integration
- Work with the team to develop best practices to troubleshooting problems, problem-solving methodologies
- Manage, foster and grow relationships with Product Development, CS development, SOM, GSO PSTs, Product Management, CS Field
- Understand future platform architecture
- Provide input regarding concerns around performance
- Engage early in new releases to build a knowledge base, skill set, and CS tools where identified
- Knowledge Management and related activities
- Continuously evaluating tools/diagnostics/monitoring scripts and other supportability deliverables required to improve problem diagnosis or avoid incident creation and provide customers with the ability to initiate self-help or improve problem resolution time and minimize problem rediscovery
- Analytics against incidents. Collaborate with Emerging Technologies teams to identify how Service Analytics Machine can contribute to the OS and PDE space
- Data analysis and presentations leading to root cause and closed loop corrective actions
- Ability to summarize data and findings and explain the rationale for decisions
- Growth and Development; including team development, skills management, training plans
- Responsible for contributing to product requirements
- Co-own product quality and customer experience with Product Management and Product Development
- The position will have a wide impact that extends across Teradata products and customer installed base, by nature of concentrating on isolating root cause quickly, developing tools, identifying areas of product improvements and driving those improvements to fruition with SPM’s, SOM, CSO (when engaged) and Engineering
Skills & Attributes:
- People management skills and the ability to plan, lead and manage multiple competing complex projects
- Ability to articulate a business justification for key requirements
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Capable of presenting problem resolution process, root cause analysis, and activities underway in technical and tactical terms to customer-facing teams and customers when warranted
- Knows to recognize and distinguish employee performance, capable of providing constructive feedback
- Will require an in-depth understanding of the business dynamics of own department, as well as other departments (Product Management, Product Development, GSS, Customer, Sustaining, Field) and how they interact
- High degree of communications as well as negotiation skills
- BS in Computer Science or another technical discipline
- 12+ years of engineering and/or technical customer support experience or within some technical discipline
- Cultural awareness
- Closed Loop/Corrective Action experience actively engage in Post Mortem Reviews
- Basic knowledge/experience with MS Office suite
- Ability to quickly grasp and expand knowledge in a number of cross-disciplinary technologies
- Knowledge of Teradata products, technologies, and parallel architecture
- Experience with working with a globally distributed team
- Working knowledge of Operating System and associate RPMs
- Technical Knowledge of Networking, NTP, PAM, filesystem, security, utilities, drivers, etc…
- Understanding of PDE and/or TVS
- Understands platform architecture; vconfig, clique, etc.
- 24x7 operation will require working after hours engagements and being available to drive issues/incidents 24x7x365
- Some travel may be required, international/domestic
- Customer interaction, as well as possibly deliver status updates and root cause presentations to customer
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Manager Product Support
Job Category: Customer Support
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US