Director Pre-Sales Solution Engineer - South East
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina US
Requisition Number: 204251
Position Title: Solutions Engineer Sr Partner
We transform how businesses work and people live through the power of data.
Are you passionate about making companies smarter? Teradata provides end-to-end solutions and services in big data, analytics and data warehousing enabling companies to become a data-driven business. We are looking for people who share our vision to join our team of more than 10,000 associates around the globe.
Director Pre-Sales Solution Engineer - South East
The Solution Engineer Director is a senior level technical position that operates as full-time manager with direct management responsibility of Solution Engineers (SE’s). The position leverages the concepts of “Big Data”, data warehousing, analytic technical knowledge and architecture to promote sales of Teradata analytical solutions.
In addition to managing a team of Solution Engineers (SE), the manager will need to optimize these resources across multiple Account Executives and business development opportunities. The SE Manager must have demonstrated successful SE skills across “Big Data”, data warehousing and analytics with expert knowledge of Teradata products, open source and 3rd party products within numerous industries. This role requires all the standard skills that a Senior SE possesses including developing analytical ecosystem architectures along with being responsible for managing and mentoring a team of SE’s to be successful in supporting the sales efforts across the whole breath of analytical ecosystem products and solutions.
Key Management Responsibilities
- Reports to a Technical Sales Leader, typically a Geographic Tech Lead Director that is responsible for a geographic region of user accounts and prospect companies.
- Owns the direct reporting relationship of the SE team providing direction of their time and account activities
- Responsible for monthly 1-on-1 sales management meetings that focus on results, pipeline, and activity that drive consumption of Teradata software and increase revenue.
- Regularly involved in development of account goals, objectives, strategies, and tactics (GOST) and ensuring adherence to the process driving responsibility, accountability and ownership.
- Drives SE resource optimization through collaborative decision making and identification of high impact opportunities.
- Acts as a central point of contact and coordinator for HR/Staffing and other organizations involved in the recruitment, interviewing and on-boarding of new SE candidates
- Supports all SEs on the local team through knowledge transfer, task prioritization, and internal networking as necessary
- Participates and supports executive level meetings with Account Executives and Sales Leaders as necessary
- Directs the SE team based on priorities set by the Sales Leadership team
- Operates as full-time manager with a focus on leading, guiding and leveraging talent
- Responsible for the development and management of formal development plans for SE’s
- Develop and assist with account qualification utilizing knowledge of industry solutions, data models & data volumes for the various types of accounts and applying this knowledge to determine which SE’s to assign to targets
Key Technical Responsibilities
- Understanding, documenting and articulating the customer’s current analytic ecosystem architecture. This includes a complete inventory of the customer’s data warehouses, data lakes and discovery environments as well as their respective business functions.
- Understanding competitive products and service offerings from Oracle, IBM, Netezza, Snowflake, AWS-Redshift, HP Vertica, Cloudera, HDP, Open Source, etc.
- Demonstrating and utilizing knowledge of business problems of customers across multiple industries depending on the local account and prospect rider
- Articulating and positioning Teradata’s solutions to solve business problems, by leveraging the complete portfolio of Teradata products, applications, services and offers.
- Maintaining and growing knowledge in all Teradata solutions through education, training, competitive analysis, etc.
- Being a trusted advisor to the customer’s decision-makers by establishing credibility and expertise in analytical ecosystem architecture, marketing analysis and automation systems, customer profitability solutions, and other areas related to Teradata’s solution offerings.
- Identifying new application opportunities that will lead to additional Teradata products, solutions and professional services being implemented by the customer.
- Working with the Consulting Partner and Centers of Excellence to develop high quality proposals for Consulting engagements.
- Participating in Consulting engagements that position Teradata as a trusted adviser to our customers.
- Contributing Knowledge Assets to the Teradata Knowledge Management System.
- 8+ years of consulting and client facing experience in positioning, architecting, and sales support for enterprise level technical solutions
- 5+ years of operational or technical RDBMS in data warehouse implementation
- Client interface and consulting skills required, including demonstration of interfacing with SVP and C-level executives
- Experience w/Teradata solutions including Integrated Data Warehouse, Hadoop and Big Data Discovery environments
- Sound knowledge of capabilities provided by contemporary analytical ecosystem architecture components including data warehousing, data modeling, data lakes, analytical discovery environments, BI tools, and analytical tools.
- Proven capabilities in relational database technology in the application development environment (Teradata, DB2, Oracle, Hadoop ) and operational knowledge of third party GUI and data transformation tools (COGNOS, Business Objects, Tableau, Informatica and others)
- Solid understanding of current integrated data warehousing topics including Big Data and Analytics
- Solid understanding of parallel database architectures
- Experience with Hadoop
- Experience with OpenSource Technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Scoop, etc
- The ability to manage, direct and develop people as individuals and as a collective team
- BA or BS in Business or Computer Science
The Solution Engineer Director will work from a virtual (home) office with considerable time required onsite with customer(s). Up to 50%+ travel is expected in the field with team at customers or in a collaborative location (e.g., office) planning, preparing, practicing for customer interactions. A combination of independent work and team collaboration will be required.
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Community / Marketing Title: Director Pre-Sales Solution Engineer - South East
Job Category: Sales
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Charlotte, North Carolina US