Senior Platform Performance Specialist
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 204064
Position Title: Product Support Engineer (IV)
Senior Platform Performance Specialist
Teradata is creating an exciting new team within our Global Support Organization that focuses on performance incidents. Teradata Support Engineers are key members of an expert team focused on solving customer issues and delivering a myriad of deep-level technical solutions to both internal and external audiences. The teams support each other and work together to solve complex problems and improve processes and tools. If you have a desire to work on the cutting edge of technology and face challenging problems, then this position is for you. It offers an excellent way to apply and grow capabilities, create and nurture relationships, and contribute to Teradata’s Success.
As Senior Platform Performance Specialist, you will be engaged in the detailed performance analysis of Teradata system-level solutions and customer system performance issues. Performing analysis, understanding resource utilization/consumption, as well as issues related to platform architecture, configuration, sizing and much more. To be successful, you should possess strong system-level analytical skills and an excellent understanding of methodologies and tools used to monitor and identify system performance issues. You will take accountability and own issues/incidents end-to-end.
What You’ll Do
- Take full ownership of customer system performance incidents
- Be recognized as a technical authority amongst peers and co-workers
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert applying a deep understanding of the Teradata database and workloads to customer performance problems
- Actively engage in investigations and analysis of SAR, TOP, Meminfo, and related system performance tools
- Build tools to help with problem diagnosis
- Apply an understanding of constructs such as Block-level compression, fallback, large data blocks and system parameters to problem resolution
- Work with Teradata Engineering and the field on problem resolution and problem recreation
- Drive discussions with team members, other PST’s, Managed Services, Product Development, and the Performance COE
- Provide new and existing feature assessments and advise on how customer performance will be impacted
- Provide input to Engineering on performance issues seen in the field and make recommendations for product improvements
- Provide thought leadership around tools and automation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline and 8+ years of experience
- Proven effective leadership in a geographically dispersed support team environment
- A deep understanding of platform/OS architecture, Teradata Database
- Significant experience with Linux and large server architecture
- 24/7/365 support experience and the willingness to work on weekends and after-hours
- Proven experience supporting customers using complex configurations/products
- Exposure to various performance analysis tools such as; top, iostat, sar, puma, awtmon, DBQL, TASM, ResUsage, perflook, perfstats, PDCR, WLM or ability to quickly learn
- Exposure to PMCOD/WMCOD/CPUCOD, tdsched, TIM, Tcore, CDS
- Teradata Certified Master
- Experience working in a mission-critical, 24/7
Benefits You’ll Enjoy
- Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage
- Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Platform Performance Specialist
Job Category: Customer Support
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. Many roles will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations. These roles will be required to be in the office once it is safe or restrictions are lifted. Read more on our response here: Teradata Response to COVID-19
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US