Staff Devops Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 205050
Position Title: DevOps Engineer (IV)
Ecosystem Core Services (ECS) provides common infrastructure for Teradata’s Vantage microservice architecture. We provide authentication, authorization and auditing services for applications deployed on the platform leveraging integration into LDAP, SAML and OpenID Connect platforms. ECS enables a REST based Query Service for the Teradata database, secret management, system registration and notifications. ECS maintains Java and Go microservice frameworks which enable rapid application development for Teradata development teams.
Our services are built in Java and Golang with open source technology leveraged where it makes sense. We work across the company with our partners from the AppCenter team, security and the database to deliver integrated solutions. We’re building an ecosystem to enable the next generation of data developers innovate as quickly as possible both within Teradata and for our customers.
This year we’re working to expand our services to ensure we can provide end to end single sign on (SSO) for our customers from a web browser to the database server all the way to TensorFlow running on analytic nodes: a full end to end identity management solution. If figuring that out isn’t interesting enough, we want to add multifactor authentication (MFA) into the mix. Have you seen an MFA enabled database? Join us and let’s make it happen together.
As the Staff DevOps Engineer you will be responsible for helping to ensure that our applications deploy effectively in our Kubernetes based deployment environments, help to triage system and network issues within these environments and help ensure that Helm charts, Docker images and RPM packages are being correctly generated. We leverage Jenkins as our CI environment and we’ll expect you to work with our QA Engineers to maintain the build pipelines and triage any issues with our Kubernetes clusters.
Our frameworks and services are leveraged by internal development teams. To help facilitate local development, we use Docker Compose to enable Teradata developers to get up and running quickly. Part of your role will be assisting these teams through one-on-one coaching and development of automation to make the onboarding process an awesome experience. This also includes helping to support and maintain internal engineering focused systems that are used across the company for development in partnership with our Labs Engineering Services group.
We work closely with the Customer Support organization to keep our customers up and running 24/7. Part of your role will be the development of tools to capture relevant information from the customer systems so that problems can be quickly diagnosed and corrected.
On call support is shared by everyone on the team: engineers, QA’s and devops. You’ll be a part of a rotation alongside everyone else on the team to help with support for issues that come in across our supported platforms from our specialist customer support teams or the support teams in the field.
Your Business Objectives would include:
- Build and maintain Kubernetes clusters to support development and testing activities running a set of interdependent micro-services.
- Create automation to ensure new environments can be deployed quickly and existing environments can be upgraded seamlessly.
- Work to triage operational issues in company environments and support customer service in triaging issues on customer deployed systems.
- Interact with engineering teams and partners to support environments handling ongoing requirements and providing one-on-one coaching to teams adopting our services.
- Identify and propose areas of improvement to enhance operability throughout the software development process.
- We deploy onto Linux environments either running on bare metal, VMWare virtual machines or inside Kubernetes. Knowledge of Linux environments and networking is required.
- We use Jenkins as our continuous integration platform though if you’ve used other CI/CD environments like Travis CI or TeamCity before then that works as well.
- As a team we work with everyone in the company from other engineering teams to the people who help support our customers in the field. That means we’ll be in meetings face to face or on the phone. We’ll expect you to take part communicating in English with solid writing and oral communication skills.
- As a team we apply agile development practices with a preference to Scrum however other knowledge of other methodologies is useful.
- As a senior role, we expect five years of relevant experience in application development, test engineering or the operations space. We’ll work with your experience in these areas to develop the skills you need to be successful in this multidisciplinary role.
- Ideally you have a BS or MS degree in computer science or computer engineering.
Location: This position is on site at the San Diego facility
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Staff Devops Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US