Senior Engineering Manager, Change Control Automation
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 203454
Position Title: Sr Manager, Engineering
Senior Engineering Manager - Change Control Automation & Support
Location: San Diego
Teradata Global Support Operations is expanding and building capabilities to further drive our company and function’s transformation. We are seeking a highly-skilled and technology-focused leader to drive the evolution of the Change Control Support and Automation team.
The primary responsibility of this candidate is to lead a team of around ~ 20 product support and automation software engineers who are responsible for the development of change control templates used by the CS field organization and provide level three technical support of those change activities around the world and around the clock
As Senior Engineering Manager, Change Control Automation and Support, you will be leading software development and product support teams in addition to working with product management, engineering, and customer services to help to define and shape the technical roadmap for Teradata regarding system change operations on customer systems.
This position will be located in San Diego. This is a fast-paced high-tech environment and may require extended hours and after-hours follow up given the nature of the changes occurring 7x24.
Key Responsibilities of the team:
- The principal objective is to deliver automation of existing change control and system change management processes currently being done in manual step-through fashion across bare-metal and virtualized environments.
- Coordinate backlog of the development team with stakeholders across product development and customer support and services.
- Design, develop, document, test, and debug new capabilities to bring automation to the change control experience.
- Synchronize activity with engineering and information engineering to develop Installation, Upgrade, Migration, and Back-down (IUMB) procedures for all change activities on customer systems in on-premise, public cloud, and managed cloud environments.
- Support all IUMB activities globally when problems occur requiring deep IUMB level technical skills of the team.
- Take an active role in modernizing our IUMB activities by writing user story requirements and developing scripts and tools using the latest technologies, languages and tools.
- Participate in proactive design of new and innovative ways of simplifying future IUMB activities.
- Monitor trends and constantly look at ways to improve change management for all our products.
- Build an integrated and aligned model with field delivery teams and customers executing current activities in a DevOps fashion. Backlog, user acceptance testing, and value realization alignments are core areas of alignment expected to enable consumption.
Key Responsibilities of the leader:
- Build a high-performance team by providing clear vision, address staffing challenges, define training plans, and follow talent performance management process.
- Grow engineering excellence across SDLC including test driven development and software coding disciplines in accordance with Agile/Scrum process approach.
- Organize the activities of the automation and support team members across geographic locations including the United States and India.
- Lead the team to holistically identify, propose and develop innovative processes, tools and systems to improve change management strategy with an emphasis on automation of on-premise, public cloud, and managed cloud deployments.
- Provide guidance to team members to effectively collect requirements, design solutions, and deliver high quality automation to support business needs.
- Drive and reinforce cultural change within the team to adopt agile practices supporting modern deployment technologies that may utilize service-oriented architectures.
- Interact with engineering, customer support field associates, and customers in problem isolation and resolution of IUMB procedures during execution of change controls.
- Communicate effectively with many different associates in various roles within the company.
Tools & Experience:
- Strong coding and development skill and experience
- Experience with Linux operating systems
- Experience in managing software development life cycle and disciplines (SDLC) and hiring technical/engineering talent
- Experience working in a Cloud/IaaS environment such as AWS, Rackspace, or Azure
- Experience working with Virtualization software such as VMWare and OpenStack
- Experience working with one or more Containerization tools such as Vagrant, Docker or LXC
- Experience using one or more Configuration Management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or SaltStack
- Experience working with Process Automation software such as ServiceNow or Salesforce
- Experience working with one or more Test and Build systems such as TeamCity, Jenkins, Maven, or Ant
- Experience using Monitoring/Alerting tools such as New Relic, Nagios, Icinga, or Graphite
- Experience effectively leading virtual teams, specifically software development in virtual and matrix development environments
- Experience with cloud-based architectures and application deployments
- Solid knowledge of Agile principles as they relate to the development and release of products
- Strong grasp of system concepts related to interoperability during upgrades and migrations
- Understanding platform and SW integration, storage and overall OS fundamentals.
- Passion for customer satisfaction
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with inter-disciplinary teams and management
- Motivated self-starter, with a high capacity for rapid learning and meticulous attention to detail
- 3+ years as an engineering manager with customer support or services experience a plus
Minimum of 12 years of related experience with a university degree; or 8 years and an advanced degree; or a Ph.D. with 5 years’ experience; or equivalent experience.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Engineering Manager, Change Control Automation
Job Category: Customer Support
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US