Sr. Solution Engineer Cloud (Pre-Sales)
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 203137
Position Title: Solutions Engineers V
The Sr. Sales Engineer (SE) is a senior level position that leverages Big Data, data warehouse and analytical technical knowledge to promote sales of Teradata analytical solutions. The Cloud SE should have expert knowledge and demonstrated ability to build cloud-based architectures and provide prescriptive guidance across broad technology stacks. The SE has broad knowledge of the Big Data, data warehouse and analytic space with expert knowledge of Teradata products and open source and 3rd party analytics solutions. The SE articulates analytical ecosystem architectures and trends, and provides technical consulting as a trusted advisor to support sales and Professional Services (PS) activities. The SE establishes or enhances customer technical relationships, provides technical expertise on engagements and identifies new target opportunities within our accounts. In addition, the SE plays an active role in pre-sale and post-sale activity, ensuring a long-term partnership with Teradata customers.
The Sr. Sales Engineer will have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, create technical definition around customer objectives in complex situations, develop solution strategies, motivate & mobilize resources, and deliver results. The ability to connect technology with measurable business value is critical to a cloud solutions architect.
Overall Job Purpose
- Serves as trusted technical advisor to client
- Seeks to drive sales of Teradata products, solutions, and services as well as increased consumption use of Teradata systems, particularly in the cloud
- Achieves expert status on client systems, performance, and current and potential data loaded onto systems to facilitate demand creation
- Partners with account relationship lead on account planning and strategy
- Works with overall account team to identify sales opportunities
- Supports the selling process for cloud software and services
- Partner with the sales team to design solutions for customers, drive Teradata adoption and revenue in the cloud
- Educate customers and internal teams on the value proposition and technical deployment/architecture of Teradata in the cloud
- Establish credibility & build deep relationships with senior technical individuals within customers to enable them to be cloud advocates.
- Leverages deep understanding of the competitive landscape within cloud analytics to provide valuable insight and strategy to sales teams
- Fully understands available Teradata solutions and they can be deployed in the cloud
- Manages relationships with client stakeholders, primarily technical resources, to become a key advisor on analytics and architecture
- Creates client interest in Teradata Cloud-based solutions, advancing the sales process
The Pre-Sales Cloud Sales Engineer will work from either a virtual (home) office or Teradata’s San Diego office with considerable time required onsite with customer(s). 25%+ travel is required, dependent on account responsibilities/activities.
Skills and Experience
- Solid understanding of current integrated analytical solution topics including Big Data and Analytics
- Strong technical knowledge in relevant areas (including traditional Teradata, cloud technologies, and open source technologies)
- Technical sales or presales experience
- Well-developed communication and presentation skills
Key Attributes of Success
- Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas
- Deep technical understanding of analytic systems
- Technical sales / presales experience
- Ability to develop customer relationships
- Knowledge of the larger competitive landscape
- Leadership to drive disparate teams to delivery
- Experience with “on-premise to cloud” migrations
- Experience architecting/operating solutions built on AWS and/or Azure
- Understanding of cloud security and networking practices such as PrivateLink and DirectConnect (AWS), as well as ExpressRoute (Azure)
- Five years or more deploying enterprise cloud architectures with best practices
- Strong understanding of Data Warehouse and Analytical ecosystem architectures that include functions such as data acquisition, data containers, analytical tools, end user consumption, and governance.
- Proven capabilities in relational database and application development environments using (Teradata, DB2, Oracle, Hadoop, Spark, etc.) and operational knowledge of third party GUI and data transformation tools (COGNOS, Business Objects, Informatica, and others)
- Client interface and consulting skills required
- BA or BS in Business or Computer Science
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Previous Pre-Sales Cloud Sales Engineer role
- Experience w/Teradata solutions including the Teradata RDBMS, Hadoop, Teradata Aster and/or Big Data Discovery environments
- Hands-on working knowledge with the Teradata RDBMS, including Teradata Workload Management, Performance Optimization, and System Performance troubleshooting
- Experience in Executive communication sessions
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Community / Marketing Title: Sr. Solution Engineer Cloud (Pre-Sales)
Job Category: Sales
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US