Senior Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 203083
Position Title: Software Engineer (IV)
The job opportunity is for the Operating System Engineering Team within the Shared Services Engineering organization. OS team provides the underlying infrastructure for all OS Teradata products on physical and virtual platforms, including Kubernetes and containerized application deployments. OS team provide the necessary service on multiple hardware platforms, including public and private cloud environments.
We are looking for a candidate to join our fast paced and cutting-edge development organization that is on the forefront of our “Teradata Everywhere” strategy.
Teradata Labs, the technology research and development (R&D) organization within Teradata Corporation, has been turning innovative decision support technology into business results for over 30 years. Our R&D team of analytic architects, database developers and engineers work to understand and advance emerging technologies to invent the next wave of cutting-edge analytic data solutions.
This position is for a Software Engineer in the Linux OS team within the Shared Services Engineering organization. Familiarity with software compilers, programming, Linux administration, diagnostic procedures, software maintenance and, networking are required. The candidate is expected to contribute to all cycles of the software development and deployment lifecycle, including design, development, documentation, testing and operations. They must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast-paced environment. They need to really enjoy working closely with their peers in a group of very talented engineers. The position involves development, integration, functional and performance testing, and fault analysis of our cloud and on premise solutions. The engineer will be engaged in concept definition, implementation, support for early engagements and typical life cycle management activities, including debugging customer facing issues.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated and creative software engineer who is ready to participate in an agile team environment and contribute to the success of Teradata. The successful candidate will possess excellent programming skills in C/C++ as well as emerging technologies such as Python and must have strong understanding of Linux concepts. A strong working knowledge of Linux kernel internals is required. Good oral and written communication skills are also required.
- Member of an agile development team responsible for the Teradata Operating System development team.
- Develop and support functions required to support new operating system versions and features.
- Develop and enhance existing functionality to provide greater operating system and platform independence. Develop, debug and new test kernel features.
- Excellent troubleshooting, listening, and problem-solving skills
- Experience working in fast paced agile scrum development environment.
- Demonstrated expertise in C/C++ development.
- Demonstrated expertise in Linux OS internals.
- Familiarity with multiple Linux distributions.
- Experience with one or more scripting languages including Python, Power CLI, or JSON.
- Experience working with hypervisors in a virtual platform environment.
- Familiarity with public and/or private cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, VMWare ESXi, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Minimum Education and Residency Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 7+ years of work experience.
- Masters or PhD degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline with 5+ years of work experience.
- US Citizen or Permanent United States Resident preferred.
- Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Software Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US