Sales Engineering Manager (Inside Sales – Commercial Accounts)
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 203063
Position Title: Presale Sr Partner
Sales Engineer Manager ( Inside Sales - Commercial Accounts)
The Sales Engineer Manager is a senior level technical position with direct management responsibility of Sales Engineers. The position leverages the concepts of “Big Data”, data warehousing, analytic technical knowledge and architecture to promote sales of Teradata analytical solutions through various on premise and cloud deployment models.
In addition to managing a team of Sales Engineers (SEs), the Sales Engineer Manager will need to optimize these resources across multiple Account Executives and business development opportunities. The SE Manager must have demonstrated successful SE skills across “Big Data”, data warehousing and analytics with expert knowledge of Teradata products, open source and 3rd party products within numerous industries. This role requires all the standard skills that a Senior SE possesses including the ability to manage and mentoring a team of SA’s to be successful in supporting the sales efforts across the whole breath of analytical ecosystem products and solutions.
Key Management Responsibilities
- Reports to Area Vice President
- Owns the direct reporting relationship of the SE team providing direction of their time and account activities
- Drives SE resource optimization through collaborative decision making on what are the high impact opportunities to focus on
- Acts as a central point of contact and coordinator for HR/Staffing and other organizations involved in the recruitment, interviewing and on-boarding of new SE candidates
- Supports all SEs on the local team through knowledge transfer, task prioritization, and internal networking as necessary
- Participates and supports executive level meetings with Account Executives and Sales Leaders as necessary
- Directs the SE team based on priorities set by the Sales Leadership team
- Responsible for the development and management of formal development plans for SEs
- Develop and assist with account qualification utilizing knowledge of industry solutions, data models & data volumes for the various types of accounts and applying this knowledge to determine which SE’s to assign to targets
Key Attributes of Success
- Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas
- Deep technical understanding of analytic systems
- Technical sales / presales experience
- Ability to develop customer relationships
- Knowledge of the larger competitive landscape
- Leadership to drive disparate teams to delivery
Key Technical Responsibilities
- Advocate Teradata products and solutions to customers and prospects.
- Act as the “face” of Teradata to customers & prospects – able to quickly and easily articulate the advantage of Teradata product portfolio and solution offering.
- Continuously drive the value of the Teradata solution for customer business challenges – create value, articulate value, maintain value.
- Understand customer data & analytics challenges and translate to business requirements.
- Build solutions that meet business requirements and provide value for customer data & analytics problems.
- Craft creative solutions that leverage informed assumptions even when only partial info is known.
- Documents client’s current analytical framework/architecture and organizational data flow to understand the performance of the customer system
- Understand and communicate customer-specific value of Teradata solutions and how they integrate with the customers analytical ecosystem.
- Understand business value gained to customer by analytics. Understand and align our product services and offerings to solve business problems.
- Manages relationships with client stakeholders as the key advisor on analytic architecture
- Creates client interest in Teradata solutions, advancing the sales process
- Syncs daily with account team lead to discuss account strategy and future sales opportunities
- Contributing Knowledge Assets to the Teradata Knowledge Management System.
- 8+ years of consulting and client facing experience in positioning, architecting, and sales support for enterprise level technical solutions
- 5+ years of operational or technical RDBMS in data warehouse implementation
- Client interface and consulting skills, including interfacing with SVP and C-level executives
- Sound knowledge of capabilities provided by contemporary analytical ecosystem architecture components including data warehousing, data modeling, data lakes, analytical discovery environments, BI tools, and analytical tools.
- Experience with Teradata solutions including Integrated Data Warehouse, Hadoop and Big Data Discovery environments
- Proven operational knowledge of third party GUI and data transformation tools (COGNOS, Business Objects, Tableau, Informatica and others)
- Solid understanding of parallel database architectures
- Solid understanding of cloud architectures and deployment models
- Experience with Hadoop
- Experience with OpenSource Technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Scoop, etc
- The ability to manage, direct and develop people as individuals and as a collective team
- BA or BS in Business or Computer Science
The Sales Engineer Manager will work from a virtual (home) office with considerable time required onsite with customer(s). 25%+ travel is required. A combination of independent work and team collaboration will be required.
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Sales Engineering Manager (Inside Sales – Commercial Accounts)
Job Category: Sales
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US