Location: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory AU
Requisition Number: 202999
Position Title: PS Consultant (II)
The Data Scientist gathers intelligence from the massive streams of data that clients gather each day. Due to the volume of data, its multi-structured nature, and the various advanced analysis involved, MapReduce and other advanced software available with, for example, Teradata and Hadoop are used to supplement or in place of traditional SQL analysis. Data can originate anywhere; from sales records, web logs, and web crawlers to jet engines, electronic switches, and other sources. The Data Scientist sifts through the data for useful nuggets of information, and then presents results to the client to allow business decisions to be made on the findings. The Data Scientist captures, sorts, and determines what is relevant in the data.
The analysis process involves assembling and preparing the data, writing the software programs, and executing the actual analysis. Advanced analysis is required on the data that includes data mining and statistical analysis. The Data Scientist will have a strong analytic background, typically in computer science or mathematics, and the application of statistics. Computer science programming expertise is desirable to analyze the data and provide intelligence that leads to better business decisions or new products. Techniques are used to detect patterns in large volumes of data for applications such as forecasting, response modeling, fraud detection, and segmentation. Industry specific methods and solutions are used to solve industry specific tasks. Strong communication skills are required to convey complex analytical results to business sponsors of programs. The Data Scientist provides solutions in the cloud, on premises, and in hybrid environments. The Data Scientist may be the Project Tech Lead on a project.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Clarify the business problem for data analysis.
- Translate the business requirements into technical requirements.
- Translate the requirements into existing advanced analytic functions or help design new functions with software to meet the requirements.
- Work closely with the client teams to generate insights, diagnose problems, and provide information for business and product decisions by transforming very large data sets into actionable information.
- Build and maintain tools and documentation to enable the consumption of data by the platform team and the entire company.
- Perform both regular and ad-hoc analysis leveraging a wide array of data tools.
- Interpret and document the analysis and results, and communicate the information effectively to the client.
- All consultants are expected to build value in themselves. Teradata’s extensive library of both instructor led and web based training provides ample opportunity for the consultant to build and maintain marketable skills. Time has been allocated specifically for this task and each consultant is expected to have a ‘Learning Plan’. Progress against the learning plan is part of the annual appraisal.
- All consultants are expected to build value in their practice through the contribution and reuse of consulting assets. After each assigned project, a consultant is expected to evaluate the project deliverables and to contribute those items that may be useful to other consultants that may be assigned similar projects. When a new project is assigned, the consultant will search the asset repository for assets that may improve or accelerate the project delivery.
- Experience with large data sets and distributed computing with Teradata, Hadoop and MapReduce (Hive, Pig, etc.).
- Explore – base skills in statistics, algorithms, machine learning, and mathematics. A solid grounding in these principles is required to extract signals from the data and build things with it.
- Build – experienced with at least one programming language, preferably Java. While advanced coding techniques are not required, the candidate needs to be aware of the open source libraries and packages available.
- Communicate – making the results real by making data available to users. This involves communicating the results of analysis clearly and effectively to both business and technical users in presentations. Lead the discussion and guide the integration of the data visualization layer with the underlying platform to best showcase the output of the data.
- In depth knowledge of statistics and mathematics.
- Computer Science or related mathematics background to have the math and statistics knowledge required for data science.
- In depth knowledge of analytical toolsets.
- Experience building software is a plus.
- Fluency in SQL
- Knowledge across multiple industries is a plus.
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Knowledge of Architecture Principles, Advocated Positions, Design Patterns, and Implementation Alternatives.
- Understanding of the Teradata Reference Information Architecture.
- Work with the appropriate project management methodology (Agile or Waterfall) based upon customer and project requirements
State: Australian Capital Territory
Community / Marketing Title: Data Scientist
Job Category: Consulting
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory AU