Staff DevOps Engineer
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 202224
Position Title: Engineer (IV)
Staff DevOps Engineer (San Diego, CA)
Are you a problem solver? Does the prospect of solving the world’s toughest problems with data and analytics in the cloud excite you? Would you like to work side-by-side with the brightest analytical and engineering minds in the industry to help organizations innovate and solve their big data needs with cloud based solutions? If yes, you belong here with Teradata IntelliCloud. Teradata is an enterprise software company that provides cutting-edge Big Data analytics and discovery technology helping Fortune 1000 organizations be efficient and innovative by uncovering new opportunities to grow revenues and cut costs. From large financial services organizations to global communication services providers to healthcare providers to auto manufacturers to online gaming, the largest organizations globally are using our Big Data analytics and discovery technology to make sense of petabyte scale multi-structured data to better understand customer behaviors, anticipate customer needs and develop better products and solutions. Teradata Labs is looking for DevOps Engineers to work in our Teradata IntelliCloud group. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about automating development and production environments, owning a service from front to back, and love the challenge of working in highly distributed and dynamic Hybrid Cloud environment. In this role you will be center to helping design and operate environments that enable fast paced development and deployments while achieving high availability. Along with a systemic discipline we are also looking for candidates who can approach the DevOps discipline in new and creative ways and who are open and passionate about exploring new technologies to improve our overall environment.
- You are able to contribute to designs of and independently operate highly available systems and software in large distributed Data Center and Hybrid Cloud environments.
- Work across multiple teams to define requirements, identify solutions, develop solutions where possible but willing to be hands-off for solutions others will build
- Build and deploy in a container-based environment, then manage, configure, and support
- Metric driven with focus on continual improvement
- Comfortable working with distributed teams
- Automation – identify opportunities to improve dev and/or ops through automation, and then automate to reduce manual tasks and improve productivity
- System and IT Operations
- Continuous deployments
Required Skills and Experience:
- OS: Extensive experience with Linux, and familiarity with Windows
- Experience working with virtualization software such as VMWare or Openstack
- Configuration Management tools - Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or SaltStack
- Strong code/scripting skills for IaaS automation
- Technical leadership working with cross-functional teams
- Experience with containers and container orchestration tools, primarily Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience working with complex network topologies and hardware in a data center environment
- Monitoring/Alerting tools such as Data Dog, Nagios, Graphite, and APM tools
- Expertise in leveraging a wide variety of open source technologies
- Experience working in hybrid environment between data centers and AWS/Azure
- Test and build systems such as TeamCity, Jenkins, Maven, Ant
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of relevant job experience
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage. *Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
Specific skills and roles: Role was CAH IaaS offering, customer facing, virtual environment to host VM, bare metal, or container. Customers can host their apps with self-service capabilities. Plug into management console by customers. Platform will consume APIs to configure the environment. Allows customers to come into the environment to be close to Database.
Made of compute, storage, network, with VMware now, container coming later which would be provisioned on top of bare metals.
Virtualization is key inside a private cloud (our dc) so VMWare. Infrastructure automation. Need to have an infra background but with tendency to automate those environments. Need to understand compute/storage/network, don’t need to be an expert in all 3 but know enough about them to get stuff done and/or ask for help where needed. CAH currently only in our DC, but will need to extend into public cloud so experience here is needed too.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Staff DevOps Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US