Storage Development Engineering Manager, Teradata Platform Engineering
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 201850
Position Title: Sr Manager, Engineering
Teradata leverages the latest technologies to provide the best features, highest availability, and optimal product cost for customers.
The ensure the best storage technologies are part of Teradata products, the storage team works with the platform architects to survey technology choices, provide critical technical evaluation, and then completes functional and negative testing for the selected technology. This includes working closely with our selected technology partners to ensure their technology integrates well into Teradata. Once the new technology is deployed, the Storage team has life cycle accountability for the product including maintenance code releases, defect management, and escalated customer problem resolution.
As the manager of the Storage team, you will be responsible for facilitating all of these activities among the engineering team members. Additionally, you will be responsible for the training and development of all team members to attain the organization’s shared objectives.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage day to day direction of the Hardware Platform Storage team. This team is responsible for all aspects of delivering Storage technologies into Teradata products. Responsibilities range from advanced development to productization to engineering field support for all Storage technologies from SSD, HDD, NVMe, Storage Arrays, and RAID controllers.
- Manage high-profile customer issues. Partner with customer support and supplier leadership to handle critical vendor, customer, and quality issues. This effort involves coordinating communications and developing strategic approaches to lead internal technical teams and the customer to successful resolution.
- Work with architects and program managers to develop plans and budgets for strategic development programs of new technologies.
- Develop strategies to address technology risks, quality issues, and schedule changes with the support of the project and program managers. Provide insights and solutions to business driven and technical issues.
- Initiate and promote organizational development and process improvements.
- As a people manager, lead the team through personnel development plans, goal setting, and progress assessments.
- Bachelor degree in computer science, computer engineering, information systems or related experience
- 10+ years of experience in computer engineering technologies
- 5+ years’ experience as a project manager or technical leader in an R&D environment
- Strong personal and organizational processes. Ability to lead, plan, and manage competing complex projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral, written, presentation) skills. Ability to communicate with supplier, customer and internal corporate leadership
- Demonstrated ability to drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Experience with emerging storage technologies: NVMe, Distributed Filesystems, Object Stores, and Non-Volatile Mem.
- Strong background in emerging storage technologies
- Knowledge of Teradata products and technologies
- Demonstrated ability to apply Lean and Agile development principles
- Experience in data warehousing and high-performance computing environments
- Experience with supplier management and customer support
- Experience in building, developing, and leading high performing teams
- Large scale systems design experience
- Experience with introducing and implementing new processes and procedures to streamline and improve existing processes
This position will be located in the Teradata San Diego office. This fast-paced high-tech environment is perfect for individuals seeking to exercise innovation and out of the box thinking to take our product technologies to the next level. Up to 10% travel (ex: Vendor visits).
Benefits You’ll Enjoy:
Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, stock purchase plan, corporate bonus structure, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Storage Development Engineering Manager, Teradata Platform Engineering
Job Category: Engineering
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US