Senior Software Engineer- Query Optimizer
Location: El Segundo, California US
Requisition Number: 201241
Position Title: Software Engineer (III)
Teradata's Product Development Group, is where cutting-edge innovations in data management turn into business value. Our outstanding team of database architects and software engineers work together to understand and advance emerging technologies to produce the next wave of big data analytic solutions. Teradata Database is the core of Teradata Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) systems that run on-premises and in hybrid clouds to manage and optimize sophisticated workloads.
The heart of Teradata Database is its best-in-class query optimization engine. We work on query optimization techniques in database and analytics engines, machine learning algorithms, scalability and elasticity issues, and many other exciting challenges related to performance, usability, accessibility and integration.
The Database Query Optimization group at Teradata Labs has an opening for Sr. Software Engineer. In this role, you are expected to contribute to the design, development, and testing of new enhancements and advanced features for the the Teradata Analytical Platform.
Responsibilities / Interesting Work You’ll Do
- Perform competitive analysis of other database systems and provide recommendations on product changes
- Deisgn, implement, validate, and test new database and novel query optimization features in an Agile form
- Contribute to the delivery and continuous support of robust, resilient, and quality database products
- Lead and establish technical direction for a group of software engineers during feature development
- Help feature manager with technical aspects of features and projects
Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least eight years of related research or industry, or
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least six years of related research or industry experience, or
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or related discipline, with at least three years of related research or industry experience
Ideally, you will also have the following
- Top-notch programming skills in C++, Java, Python, R, SQL
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, design patterns, and test driver development
- System development experience
- Passionate, self-motivated, risk taker, pro-active, initiative taker, good communicator (written & verbal), creative, and team-oriented
- Familiarity with various database technologies
- Experience using Agile software development methods and tools
Location: San Diego or El Segundo.
Benefits You’ll Enjoy
*Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans.
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Software Engineer- Query Optimizer
Job Category: Engineering
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: El Segundo, California US